Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Species (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/)
-   -   Sedeira (Phalaenopsis) japonica (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/99239-sedeira-phalaenopsis-japonica.html)

MattWoelfsen 11-24-2018 08:12 PM

Sedeira (Phalaenopsis) japonica

3 Attachment(s)
This is a fragrant species from Japan. I grow it like Neofinetia falcata.

Dollythehun 11-24-2018 09:34 PM

Since I don't grow neos, I have to ask you to flesh out the care for me. I was told to grow it like a phal. At what age did yours bloom?

MattWoelfsen 11-24-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 887007)
Since I don't grow neos, I have to ask you to flesh out the care for me. I was told to grow it like a phal. At what age did yours bloom?

“Grow it like Neos”.

-This plant is in NZ Sphagnum Moss.
-It can take cool temperatures.
-In the Winter time, water early in the day and allow it to completely dry out—moss should be “crispy”.
-In the Summer time, keep it hydrated. It can tolerate heat but must be brought into cooler temperatures if the outside day time temperature stays over 90F for several days—it suffers from too much heat, whereas regular tropical Phalaenopsis will love the heat.
-like Neos, grow it in brighter light, closer to Vanda light.

I have had this plant for three years. It was in bud when I got it and it has bloomed every year. This is a small plant compared to regular Phalaenopsis.

Dollythehun 11-24-2018 10:18 PM

I was growing it in the greenhouse window with my phals. Mainly north light but brighter. I moved it to an East window and I grew a root. I'll move it again tomorrow.

SaraJean 11-25-2018 09:29 AM

Gorgeous plant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattWoelfsen (Post 887008)
-In the Summer time, keep it hydrated. It can tolerate heat but must be brought into cooler temperatures if the outside day time temperature stays over 90F for several days—it suffers from too much heat, whereas regular tropical Phalaenopsis will love the heat.
-like Neos, grow it in brighter light, closer to Vanda light.

Ah ha! That explains why mine is sort of limping along. It looks good but I might have gotten one new leaf out it this year. No blooms either. I had to sacrifice the light and grow it shadier when the temps started soaring in mid June through September. It stays over 90 for about 4 months.... I need to rethink this one. I may be gifting myself a little exoterra for Christmas to grow some of my minis. This might be happier with the summer temps in that set up but I would still wonder if it was getting enough light:/

camille1585 11-25-2018 01:44 PM

Gorgeous blooms, it looks like a happy plant. I have no luck with mine, but it's still early in the blooming season. I got it early last year, had no blooms, so this year it's been in very bright light. Fingers crossed for a spike....

Roberta 11-25-2018 02:56 PM

Another consideration may be day-night temperature differential. Mine live outside, summer may get into the 90's F but evenings are cooler (even in the worst part of summer, low 70's F) I grow mine shady, mounted or basket with minimal media (like a Vanda), somewhat shady. They can tolerate winter temperatures to near freezing if it warms up somewhat by day (which it does where I live) but I'm sure that isn't necessary.

Chemtiger 09-17-2019 09:14 PM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraJean (Post 887028)
Gorgeous plant!

Ah ha! That explains why mine is sort of limping along. It looks good but I [It]might[/I] have gotten one new leaf out it this year. No blooms either. I had to sacrifice the light and grow it shadier when the temps started soaring in mid June through September. It stays over 90 for about 4 months.... I need to rethink this one. I may be gifting myself a little exoterra for Christmas to grow some of my minis. This might be happier with the summer temps in that set up but I would still wonder if it was getting enough light:/

I was wondering how this particular plant would work in the heat and light that lasts from mid-late May through early October, so I appreciate hearing how you’ve done with it. The light in my yard, even if I put it under a big banana tree, was strong enough to kill a Vanda, despite twice-daily soakings of the entire root system. I guess my dreams of putting my ‘chids outdoors isn’t realistic unless I have a greenhouse with lots of shade cloth!

Roberta 09-17-2019 09:22 PM

Don't necessarily need a greenhouse - I suspect cooling is more of a problem than keeping the plants warm in New Orleans. Shade cloth, on the other hand, is a very good investment. You can build a shade structure quite easily with conduit (see my website for photos)... I did all of mine by myself, and I'm a little old lady with only rudimentary skill with tools. I like Aluminet shade cloth - made out of aluminized Mylar. Along with cutting light (you probably want abut 70%, can double up if you need more i spots) it also reflects heat.

SaraJean 09-17-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtiger (Post 901937)
I was wondering how this particular plant would work in the heat and light that lasts from mid-late May through early October, so I appreciate hearing how you’ve done with it. The light in my yard, even if I put it under a big banana tree, was strong enough to kill a Vanda, despite twice-daily soakings of the entire root system. I guess my dreams of putting my ‘chids outdoors isn’t realistic unless I have a greenhouse with lots of shade cloth!

So a little update on mine: not dead yet:lol: I didn’t get any leaf growth out of it after my one leaf that was growing last year finally matured in late winter. I think it’s finally blooming size now, at least. It did however put out a massive amount of roots, so hopefully it has settled in. I kept it outside all year with the exception of the days we had freeze warnings and throughout the summer, I just grew it a bit shadier. We’ll see if it blooms next year...

If you are lacking proper trees (I know a lot of people grow lots of their orchids under the live oaks, cypress, and crepe myrtles), you can always put up any sort of pergola. I rent a tiny little place with no trees, just a banana that I can not kill, so that is what I ended up doing (and Roberta’s shade house is fab!). I’ve never built anything before. I have a 50% shade cloth over top, higher light orchids up high and those shade the lower light ones below. Here are some pics from when I built it last year
New pergola/orchid house :)

Then I made a cover for it out of some greenhouse plastic with a zipper door, that went up in November-March and kept my less cold tolerant orchids in there. I used a small electric greenhouse heater, a fan to circulate air, and put some bins of water under the benches to hold some heat. Pics are at the bottom of the post. Or you could just move them inside for a few months if you have a good spot for them.
Come on Spring! (img heavy)