Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miscellaneous & Other Genera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/)
-   -   Corybas geminigibbus (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/99023-corybas-geminigibbus.html)

King_of_orchid_growing:) 10-20-2018 12:18 PM

Corybas geminigibbus

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve been growing Corybas geminigibbus since around May 23, 2018. Corybas growth habits are not widely known and detailed photographic documentation is not common. Lots of people may have seen these orchids with tuberoid, in leaf, in flower, or in the later stages of growing a shoot. Early stages of the tuberoid sprouting such as these photos are extremely rare at best, (at least, I have not been able to find any).

The 1st photo was taken October 6, 2018.

The 2nd photo was taken today, Saturday, October 19, 2018.

We are currently in fall in the northern hemisphere.

Although it may not be clear, this tuberoid is currently sprouting 2 growths from the top. They are both white and they have extremely long and fine filaments protruding from the surface of the growths. I do not currently know what these growths really are.

Bulbopedilum 10-20-2018 07:35 PM

Very nice! I believe they are leaves (which will unfurl then bloom), but I'm not sure when they are supposed to appear in the norhtern hemisphere. Corybas are also starting to sprout in the southern hemisphere here as well. Post updates!

King_of_orchid_growing:) 10-21-2018 01:26 AM

The larger of the 2 growths appear to be growing downwards, (toward the moss), for some reason. I do not know why. This is one of the reasons why I question whether it really is a sprouting leaf. In my mind, if it was a leaf, I'd assume it would be growing towards the light, rather than away from the light source.

I cannot make out what the smaller growth is doing because it is partially obscured by a tiny piece of moss.

I'm guessing one of them could be a stolon.

orchidsarefun 05-06-2019 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. It's done this within a month. I don't know what it's supposed to do for the rest of the growing season! Lol

orchidsarefun 05-06-2019 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. It's done this within a month. I don't know what it's supposed to do for the rest of the growing season! Lol

For good reason that bud reminds me of the Alien movie.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 05-06-2019 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what came of mine just recently...

I honestly thought I lost them when I checked up on them a month ago.

Just a week ago I decided to look into the container to see if I could throw out the contents and reuse it...this was what I saw:

King_of_orchid_growing:) 05-06-2019 08:40 PM

It took from October 2018 to some time within April 2019 to produce these two leaves! There may be more coming along.

The leaves stay on the tuberoids for quite a while longer. They can stay alive up until mid summer - early fall. Dormancy is very prolonged. Mine were dormant for some of the summer up till now.

To answer your question about long term growing. Yes, it is possible, even when dormancy is extremely long.

orchidsarefun 05-06-2019 09:07 PM

I've never grown this before and I wonder if mine is mislabeled. The bud is definitely from the centre of the leaf. I suppose we'll soon see.
I have 2 other corybas species and they're doing nothing yet.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 05-06-2019 09:09 PM

I've never seen mine in bloom. I'm just trusting that mine is/are Corybas geminigibbus. (Not sure if I have 1 or 2. I bought 2, not sure if both made it.) For all I know, it could be a different species of Corybas, but closely related.

Buds are supposed to do what yours is doing.

orchidsarefun 05-10-2019 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spectacularly....tiny