Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Greenhouse Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/)
-   -   Making a move from greenhouse to apartment (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/98816-move-greenhouse-apartment.html)

loblolly90 09-18-2018 10:22 PM

Making a move from greenhouse to apartment

I have a fair sized collection of bulbophyllums and other humidity loving orchids growing exuberantly in an outdoor greenhouse here in Tennessee. I am approaching a move in the end of October to Colorado Springs CO. We are selling our house and are going to be renting for a while. I am concerned about my orchids since I have never had much experience with growing them indoors (especially in a rather dry environment. Does anyone have any suggestions for indoor culture methods or tips on acclimating them to their new home?

Ray 09-19-2018 12:40 PM

This is how I accomplished that:

Multi-shelf chrome shelves from Home depot or Lowes.

LED Lights attached to the bottom of the shelf above.

Put plants in standard nursery trays on the shelves.

Cover with a humidity tent.

Paul 09-19-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 884009)
Multi-shelf chrome shelves from Home depot or Lowes.

LED Lights attached to the bottom of the shelf above.

Put plants in standard nursery trays on the shelves.

Cover with a humidity tent.

Twould have been my suggestion as well.

estación seca 09-19-2018 01:16 PM

Most Bulbos I've grown do OK in relative humidity of 40% or higher. They need even more frequent watering in these conditions.

DirtyCoconuts 12-14-2020 01:25 PM

i agree with that suggestion from Ray, also, make sure the water is getting out once it is condensing on the tent so it does not drip or drain onto the floor- that's a recipe for slipping, rotted floors, mold etc...big boot trays are also your friend.

Ray 12-14-2020 01:35 PM

You last two posters apparently didn't pick up on the fact that the thread was over 2 years old.

:biggrin: We've all done it.

Orchidtinkerer 12-14-2020 02:29 PM

Well it was answered well 2 years ago - just a shame we never got an update on how it went.

As to this bringing it back to the light
Quote:

Originally Posted by starsarah (Post 944877)
I don't think you need any special care for orchids. Create a similar environment in the home as in the greenhouse, so that it is easier for orchids to adapt to a new place.

I would have to disagree treating a home like a greenhouse. I grow lots of orchids indoors but most I try to keep in their separate high humidity conditions which would just cause mold to grow if I kept my whole house like that.

Greenhouses are designed to provide and tolerate the conditions orchids need.
Houses are made of plasterboard which can get damaged from too high humidity conditions over time.