Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Wrinkled bulbs on new oncidium (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/98771-wrinkled-bulbs-oncidium.html)

Duriana 09-12-2018 12:03 AM

Wrinkled bulbs on new oncidium

Hello, I recently got a new oncidium and when I first got it it's bulbs were wrinkled. I thought they'd return to normal after proper watering but it's been almost a month and they haven't changed. They may have even gotten worse. I water it about every five days with misting in between. From what I can see it's in a spagnum moss and orchid bark mix, but it is in a opaque pot so I can't see all the way. I was wondering if I should repot ina clear pot but it's in bloom. If anyone can help that'd be great :)

estación seca 09-12-2018 12:12 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Oncidiums need a lot of water, especially in bloom. How much will depend on your temperature and humidity, but a lot of people water them every 2-3 days if in the house.

Go to Forums in the yellow left menu then Beginners. Look near the top for the sticky thread about using a wooden cooking skewer to check for moistness. Oncidiums in growth and flower shouldn't dry out completely.

I would wait to repot until I see new growth forming at the base of old growths, and the new growth is just beginning to form new roots. This will probably happen within a few weeks after the flowers finish. It is almost always best to wait to repot until new roots are forming. The only exception would be old medium so decomposed it is suffocating the roots.

Duriana 09-12-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 883642)
Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Oncidiums need a lot of water, especially in bloom. How much will depend on your temperature and humidity, but a lot of people water them every 2-3 days if in the house.

Go to Forums in the yellow left menu then Beginners. Look near the top for the sticky thread about using a wooden cooking skewer to check for moistness. Oncidiums in growth and flower shouldn't dry out completely.

I would wait to repot until I see new growth forming at the base of old growths, and the new growth is just beginning to form new roots. This will probably happen within a few weeks after the flowers finish. It is almost always best to wait to repot until new roots are forming. The only exception would be old medium so decomposed it is suffocating the roots.

Okay, thank you! I'll try the skewer method and wait on repotting :)

Puja 09-14-2018 01:45 PM

Oncidiums really like moisture - I mist the top of the the soil thoroughly every day or every other day (depending on size/rootball) when they are in bloom in addition to the their "proper" soak waterings. When not in bloom, I still mist several times a week but some need it more than others. If you have a hybrid, you'll have to try and see what it likes.

Generally though, once pseudobulbs have gotten wrinkly they often won't plumb back up. And some oncidiums have natural grooves in their pseudobulbs while others are perfectly smooth if well watered - again, if you have a hybrid you can only tell in time. If you water them well then the next pseudobulb on new growth is a better indicator of whether you are watering sufficiently.