Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Dendrobium hekouense care? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/98491-dendrobium-hekouense-care.html)

SaraJean 08-08-2018 06:26 PM

Dendrobium hekouense care?

5 Attachment(s)
Any one else growing this? Anyone having success? This was purchased in early June and doing good, so far. I was a bit worried about my heat over the past two months with growing it outdoors but it has exploded recently with about 17 new growths coming out. What I can’t figure out is the lighting it wants or if it’s deciduous, semi deciduous, and what’s considered ‘blooming size’ or mature. The largest pseudobulb is about 9mm and round like a very small pea. I had a problem with it dropping a few leaves when I first brought it home, may have been too bright? Right now it’s hanging out with some of my higher light bulbophyllums.

Any tips or observations would be appreciated!

DirtyCoconuts 02-02-2021 06:49 PM

Yoooo, SJ!

You still growing this? How’s it doing? Any culture tips?

I took my daughter to a big beautiful nursery today and (as always) made sure to pass the orchid benches. I saw this for $8 BUCKS!!! Scoop!

I don’t know why it was there ( or if it will last in this temp) but I’m in for $8 lol

c123anderson 12-09-2022 02:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi DirtyCoconuts or anyone....

Anyone growing dendrobium hekouense? I'm reading the care sheet and am curious....maybe this is a general question, too.

I picked up a den. hekouense from New World Orchids in September 2022 (a few months ago almost). I didn't care for it properly (I admit) and ignored it for about a month. I mean, it's alive, but........

So, I started watering it when dry -- daily -- and am seeing a lot of growth in this plant. Although this is exciting and wonderful, to see growth in my orchids, I am reading its care should be the opposite of what I'm doing.

So here I am, December and winter in my zone. My plant is an indoor plant, with temperatures remaining between 65F-75F. There is plenty of new growth and a beautiful looking pseudobulb on this plant.

My hekouense seems happy as is, and seemingly no winter rest so far.
First question: Is this good, no winter rest or to delay winter rest?

My hekouense got "ignored" for about a month -- no significant "daily" care.
Second question: Is this period a "rest" for it, enough to trigger its growth like this?

I'd like to give it good care, but I'm not sure if I should force it out of what seems like a "happy place" into a rest.

I've included some photos of it from today. The new growth seems fairly significant, so I hate to stop it while it's growing.

estación seca 12-09-2022 05:24 PM

Water Dendrobiums when they're in full growth, regardless of the calendar. Inside a home with relatively constant temperatures they don't get normal change of season cues. It might have interpreted the month of neglect as a winter.

c123anderson 12-10-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 996304)
Inside a home with relatively constant temperatures they don't get normal change of season cues. It might have interpreted the month of neglect as a winter.

That’s what I was thinking—that I messed up its rhythm.

I think that’s generell good advice and I try to follow it: when in growth don’t “rest”.

Roberta 12-10-2022 04:00 PM

I grow Den hekouense outside. It loses leaves in winter but it still gets watered and rained on. That doesn't seem to harm it, it blooms reliably (over 3+ years) If you are growing it indoors (you get a lot colder than I do, my winter nights get close to freezing but generally not below) , I would suggest putting it next to a window that gets filtered light so that it stays as cool as possible. Skip the fertilizer in winter but it doesn't need (or want) aggressive drying-out. Remember, in habitat even if it doesn't rain, the humidity is high and there is dew over night. Inside the house is a lot drier, so it will dry quickly after watering. I'd also suggest moving it outside as soon as night temps are reliably about about 40-45 deg F and leave it out into the fall until there is danger of frost. This is one tough little orchid! It is native to Yunnan, China at elevations fr0m 1000-2000 m.

judyzhusf 01-02-2024 10:25 PM

Roberta, is this a correct understanding of your post?
- If your house temperature does not fluctuate like it would in the wild, one should water it continuously when it is near dry regardless if it is winter or not
- If there is any drop if temperature and the plant detects it may be winter, stop watering completely until it comes out of rest?

Roberta 01-02-2024 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyzhusf (Post 1013098)
Roberta, is this a correct understanding of your post?
- If your house temperature does not fluctuate like it would in the wild, one should water it continuously when it is near dry regardless if it is winter or not
- If there is any drop if temperature and the plant detects it may be winter, stop watering completely until it comes out of rest?

I would never dry it out like that. Mine lives outside, gets watered and rained on . Indoors, maybe a little less water but it still needs some. Indoors is very dry. In nature these get dew even when they don't get rain.

judyzhusf 01-02-2024 11:12 PM

Thanks Roberta! My house is 62 F in winter day time and 58 at night when I go to bed and humidity is 70% all year round.

I guess I will just water it every few days when it gets close to dry then? It is getting lots of light from the grow light as well.

estación seca 01-03-2024 12:40 AM

I would not let any Dendrobium making an active growth get nearly dry. Keep them more moist in growth.