Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   If I Don't Succeed...try again/Re Intro (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/98205-dont-succeed-try-re-intro.html)

Gil 07-08-2018 04:00 PM

If I Don't Succeed...try again/Re Intro

Hi,
I found that I had last logged onto the OB on 07-08-2007. Was not much of a participator but was here briefly. Within a short time of that I had a major insect infestation and disease problem which wiped out all but one orchid. A lot of it was from not taking precautions (quarantine) with new plants and bringing home infected plants from an orchid mill. Did some over watering and used super strong bug and fungal controls like I was treating pine trees.
I gave up on orchids. Was too old to go through that pain again.
Over the years since, people gave me Phals that they got tired of after the spike was bare and soon I had a small but healthy and annually blooming collection going. My wife is even beginning to like orchids with her buying silk ones for the darker areas of the house.
So now I decided to branch out from my little collection of Phals and try other varieties...again. This time use more study, patience, common sense and discipline in raising/growing them.
P.S. I am going to try Ray's SH for some of the new orchids I get. Sounds and looks like a great way to grow orchids and some other plants. Thanks Ray! ;)

bellini girl 07-08-2018 05:00 PM

:hello and :welcome: Wealth of information to be had here. And a great bunch of people who don’t mind sharing tips and information

Gil 07-08-2018 05:20 PM

Thank you bellini. I have been doing a lot of reading and picking up good info here over the last few weeks.

Dollythehun 07-08-2018 08:20 PM

Welcome! Glad you're trying again!

camille1585 07-09-2018 02:37 AM

Welcome (back) to Orchidboard!

It's always hard to come back to the hobby after a major set back. I lost a large part of my collection around 4 years or so ago due to out of control pests, and I lost interest for a while. I still had some remaining orchids, but they lived in a state of massive neglect and I disappeared from the forum for a long time. A bit over a year ago I got the orchid bug again, and have been building up the collection once more, and enjoying/pampering my plants. So I'm happy to hear that you are giving it another go.

estación seca 08-15-2018 01:03 AM

Welcome back to the Orchid Board!

Gil 08-15-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 882084)
Welcome back to the Orchid Board!

Thank you. I've learned a lot since coming back and trying it again. Also spent lots of money but it's an honest and fun hobby.