Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Monnierara millennium magic safe to repot? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/98155-monnierara-millennium-magic-safe-repot.html)

TampaBear 07-02-2018 11:24 PM

Monnierara millennium magic safe to repot?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I have a monnierara millennium magic that I bought at end of April. It was already planted and had leaves. A few weeks ago I saw a growth starting to develop from the base. It turns out to be a new growth instead of flower spike.

So my question is would it be safe to repot now as I'm worried the medium it's in is too broken down and retaining way too much moisture. Everything I read about this orchid types is that you repot once it has come out of dormancy. But then I also keep reading that the millenium magic has a tendency to not go completely dormant. Would appreciate any advice. I'm in the Tampa Bay Area so humidity and water is not an issue.

orchidsarefun 07-02-2018 11:35 PM

It's safe to repot. Try and tease most of the old media out. Only trim roots if they are dried out or obviously rotten. The old roots can help anchor the plant in the new pot.

Roberta 07-03-2018 12:00 AM

If the medium is really bad, you can shake loose what comes off easily, but disturb roots as little as possible when you put into fresh media. You may still set it back - you are in the middle of the growing season and unless it's an emergency it is a bad time to be repotting. These like to be fairly wet, fertilized heavily, and get good light this time of year because it's growing rapidly. Sometimes one has to make a choice between repotting out of season and losing the plant. But remember, even if you lose roots, it is going to grow new ones next spring anyway. The plant doesn't look like it is suffering. If it were my plant, I'd skip repotting until late fall, or winter when the plant is slowing down at least.

TampaBear 07-03-2018 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies. I actually took those pics almost 2 weeks ago. Got busy with family in town I didn't get to posting my question... but here's a pic from this evening. It's definitely not a spike lol. The new growth has turned a more yellowish green... not sure if this is normal due to light levels (morning sun 8ish - 11:30, then under a gazebo canopy) or if it's because it's too moist. It's not too exposed to rain. If it looks good then I'll just leave it in its current pot and just make sure to not let it be exposed to our near daily torrential downpour.

Roberta 07-03-2018 09:36 PM

Sometimes "out of season" new growths don't make it... And this one is rather out-of-season... The large (leafed) growth looks very healthy, and that's the one that will take the plant through dormancy. You don't want to do anything that will upset that one... so if the new growth makes it, fine, but if it doesn't, nurturing the big one is what you want to do to ensure the long-term health of the plant.

isurus79 07-06-2018 12:54 PM

That's definitely not a good color on the new growth.

TampaBear 07-06-2018 09:54 PM

Could it be too much light? Or too much moisture?

Roberta 07-06-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TampaBear (Post 879734)
Could it be too much light? Or too much moisture?

I think that the out-of-season growth just decided not to... (being somewhat confused) the primary growth looks excellent.

Both light and moisture are really important this time of year. I would not worry about that "extra" growth.

isurus79 07-07-2018 06:09 AM

No, I disagree with the "out of season growth" hypothesis. These complex hybrids are so far removed from their normal cycle that there really isn't much of a "season" for them anymore. Plus, we're well into the growing season!!

I honestly don't know what is causing this kind of thing. Too much moisture and light are really tough to achieve with this group since they need so much of both. I bet you'll get a few new growths popping up to replace the youngest bulb, once the young growth stops growing.

TampaBear 07-11-2018 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems the consensus is to let it be. I did move it not too far from where it was so it wouldn't get so much direct sun after 10:30, crazy Florida sun seems to be getting more intense and keep it out of downpours. I'll just keep taking care of it and watch it. Learning experience either way. Hopefully I'll have a good update! I'm sure I'll be bugging with more questions down the line! :-)