Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   I need acclimation tips for the Heatwave (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/98140-acclimation-tips-heatwave.html)

Dollythehun 06-30-2018 02:26 PM

I need acclimation tips for the Heatwave

Well, I am a bit behind. Our patio door woes are almost resolved but, before installation, the deck needed rehabbed. Then the Chief needed his knee repaired. The garden is in and now its time to finally get the orchids to their summer "cabana."

However, we are in the middle of an unrepresented heat wave. It will be 95+ with high humidity for the next 7 days at least. Normally (having some gardening chops) I would have acclimatized them gradually to their summer home. Now, I'm not sure what to do with it being so hot. There is little way to move them that is gradual. They'll come from the house to the slightly shaded cabana.

I only put out the high light lovers: Catts and Cymbs and relatives. Do you guys have thoughts on this move? Their summer home consists of a rack under a beach umbrella. The light is bright but, not direct sun, unless an accident happens. And what about the cymbs? They have been in a slightly shady area of the greenhouse and now are in the shade of the house. I generally put them in full sun.

I may not follow your advise but, I'd surely appreciate it. How do you guys live where it is so hot?! Whew!:whew

rbarata 06-30-2018 02:52 PM

Being my hometown so cold (for us) in winter and so hot (and dry) in summer I almost never move plants in and out.
The ones inside are warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The ones outside can stand both conditions.

estación seca 06-30-2018 02:57 PM

What are your night temperatures outside? The day temperatures you mention are easy for most orchids to handle, especially if nights get substantially cooler. Your day temperatures are not far off from my sunroom as we speak.

Leafmite 06-30-2018 03:25 PM

I do not grow Cymbidiums but the Cattleyas do not seem to mind variation in temperature. Sometimes if it is very hot, then quite cool, then hot again, it will prompt an extra growing/blooming period but that is all. The heat will make the Cattleyas grow like crazy so I usually add Ironite, extra Calcium and Epsom Salts to help keep the growth healthy. I use the same amount of MSU fertilizer but I flush more often to avoid the salt hurting the roots.

This is great weather for the Cattleyas! :)

Dollythehun 06-30-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 879285)
What are your night temperatures outside? The day temperatures you mention are easy for most orchids to handle, especially if nights get substantially cooler. Your day temperatures are not far off from my sunroom as we speak.

80+f It's hot for here. I'm worried about sunburn or heatstroke. And they've been 20 degrees cooler...

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafmite (Post 879287)
I do not grow Cymbidiums but the Cattleyas do not seem to mind variation in temperature. Sometimes if it is very hot, then quite cool, then hot again, it will prompt an extra growing/blooming period but that is all. The heat will make the Cattleyas grow like crazy so I usually add Ironite, extra Calcium and Epsom Salts to help keep the growth healthy. I use the same amount of MSU fertilizer but I flush more often to avoid the salt hurting the roots.

This is great weather for the Cattleyas! :)

Is ironite similar to actino iron? Pulverized iron, I think.

rbarata 06-30-2018 04:02 PM

Usually heat waves don't last long (one to two weeks) so what you need is a solution for your cool growing orchids (95 F for warm/hot growers is not problematic).

I would find the coolest spot inside your home and put the cool growers there.
An important info is the one ES asked for (night temps).

estación seca 06-30-2018 04:06 PM

95 F / 35C by day and 80 F / 27C by night are fine for Cattleyas and Cymbidiums during the summer, especially if humidity is high. They will not be upset at the sudden transition. Make sure air circulation is good if the sun shines on their leaves or they might sunburn. The Cymbidiums will tolerate a lot more sun than the Cattleyas in those conditions.

Subrosa 06-30-2018 04:16 PM

Acclimation from indoors to out is more about acclimating to light intensity than temperatures.

Dollythehun 06-30-2018 05:23 PM

That's also what I worry about. Two months ago would have been ideal but, as you know, too cold! I'll have to watch the light closely.

Leafmite 06-30-2018 08:17 PM

I agree that you need to introduce your plants to the light gradually. Do you have any places outside that remain shady? Shady outside is usually brighter than indoors and makes a good first step. If the plants have been under bright artificial lights, they should be able to take a little direct morning sun.