Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   How to clean my orchids’ leaves (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/98088-clean-orchids-leaves.html)

Maru777 06-25-2018 09:18 PM

How to clean my orchids’ leaves

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! Now that I’ve finally managed to feel confident I won’t kill my pretty orchids (have them since February and they have all grown new leaves and are sprouting more roots) I have a more estethic question. One of them in particular has leaves that look full of dust. Not the new leaves but the old ones. I’ve tried giving them a shower when I water the plant but it still looks the same. They all sit on a screened porch but they look like this even after just being washed. My other flowers look fine. I don’t want to harm the leaves just because I think the leaves look dirty, but if I could clean them without damaging the plant I would love to do that. Any suggestions?

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-25-2018 10:01 PM

Either wipe with a wet towel or use leaf shine.

Do not use too much leaf shine or your plant's leaves will burn when it gets into contact with strong enough light.

fishmom 06-25-2018 11:15 PM

Milk diluted with water makes a good leaf shine. Dont wipe the bottom of the leaves; you can clog the stomata there and inhibit the transpiration process.

charlesf6 06-26-2018 12:03 AM

50% water / 50% rubbing alchohol / 1 tbsp dawn dish detergent in a large spray bottle does a nice job! :)

Mountaineer370 06-26-2018 07:57 AM

I have always cleaned the dust off my orchids' leaves with a damp paper towel. I run a paper towel under the faucet, squeeze enough of the water out so that it's not dripping, and use it to wipe down the leaves. I'm very gentle, I don't rub or scrub, I use not much more than the weight of the wet paper towel itself. I will use the fingers of my free hand to gently support the underside of each leaf while I do it. I use a fresh paper towel for each plant.

I might try something stronger like Charles's formula if I had a plant that came to me in a very dirty state. I've never felt the need to use a shining product.

aliceinwl 06-26-2018 11:24 AM

I fill a spray bottle with reverse osmosis water and give the leaves a good blasting. If that doesn’t work, I also gently wipe them with a moist paper towel.

JDT 06-26-2018 12:52 PM

Fresh squeezed lemons will do the trick!

DeaC 06-27-2018 01:13 PM

The damp paper towel method works for me but the lemon juice is great at removing the marks left by dried fertilizer. Doesn't need to be complicated.

greenpassion 06-29-2018 02:36 PM

Believe it or not, mayo works great! Better than the other methods I've tried. Put some on a paper towel, wipe the leaves so they have a THIN coat of mayo, then take a clean paper towel and wipe it off. Make sure you get it all off. I've done this for years now, and my phals all look super clean and healthy! :)

Miri the Wildmage 06-29-2018 05:54 PM

Just don't use commercial leaf shine on oncidium type orchids because I've learnt the hard way that they hate it!