Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing Under Lights (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/)
-   -   How to use Sunblaster LED's (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/98050-sunblaster-leds.html)

Chlorophile 06-21-2018 10:18 AM

How to use Sunblaster LED's

I got permission from my job to install plant lights under a shelf as long as they are LED's. Looking around it seems like these Sunblaster strips work well. The lights are 6400 K which seems to be about ideal for growth.

What I do not understand is how you set up a light system for different species of orchid. I understand part of it is length of time that the lights are on which I can handle with a timer, but what about intensity? Is it just the closeness of the lights to the orchid? Currently I just have a single phal., how do I figure out the distance to set the plant from the light and how many strips of these lights would I need? Let's say I get higher light orchid, like a cattleya, can I use this same strip and just put it closer to the orchid or would I need something else?

Ray 06-21-2018 12:11 PM

You are correct that distance is a key factor to control, as is the total wattage used.

For a single phal, a single LED floodlight, 12"-18" above the plant (depending upon wattage) may suffice.

Dollythehun 06-21-2018 03:20 PM

I use a very unscientific method (sorry Ray,). I use clear yogurt
cups, or whatever else is the right height to raise or lower the pots. Sunblasters are easy to install but, my shelving is fixed. I assume you will be adding to your collection and not just growing a single phal. If you're only growing one, Ray is correct.

Chlorophile 06-21-2018 04:55 PM

I can't find the wattage... Amazon.com : Sunblaster LED Grow Light Fixture 6400K - 2 ft : Garden & Outdoor

Is there a formula of some kind to help determine how close the plant needs to be to the light at what wattage?

Dollythehun 06-21-2018 05:20 PM

I'm sure Ray can tell you that but, I personally think you're over thinking.

Chlorophile 06-21-2018 05:45 PM

I likely am overthinking, but it is hard when you are a beginner and don't have any experience to help inform your decisions. I just worry I will make a mistake and kill my orchid.

May I ask how it is that you figure out where to place your plants in regards to a light?

dshallpost 06-21-2018 05:45 PM

Yes, there is a formula. Go to "maximum yield.com" and look up "hydroponic illumination and the daily light integral." The person who makes my lights (ActiveGrowLED) referred me to this site. The formula takes both the amount of light and the day length (hours your lights are on) into consideration. This is pretty precise -- a shortcut would be to just double the number you get from your light meter. If you are reading 1500 FC where your leaf is, and you have the lights on for approximately 14 hours a day, the plant should be getting the equivalent of about 3000 FC (if it were in a window or other natural lighting environment). Also, you can alter the amount of light by moving the plant toward or away from the center of the fixture (more light at the center) in addition to setting them on containers to get them closer to the lights.

Dollythehun 06-21-2018 07:55 PM

I am supplementing. I read what the requirements are for my plants and then I observed them. How is the plant reacting? Is the foliage too dark, too yellow, is it burnt? Is it flowering. I am married to a brilliant engineer... it doesn't take much to make me glaze over. The more I analyze, the worse I do. I go by my experience and instinct. But you are certainly free to do as you like; filter our advice to suit your conditions.

dshallpost 06-21-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chlorophile (Post 878660)
I likely am overthinking, but it is hard when you are a beginner and don't have any experience to help inform your decisions. I just worry I will make a mistake and kill my orchid.

May I ask how it is that you figure out where to place your plants in regards to a light?

Like you, Chlorophile, I am a beginner. I look forward to the time when I will have the experience to inform my decisions but until that time, I am searching, as you are, for guidance. However, I think that if you observe your orchids every day, you will catch any developing situations in time to correct.

u bada 09-22-2018 01:31 PM

How are the sun blaster LED’s working out? I’m thinking of experimenting with this, have used other kinds of LED and still not exactly happy.