Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Probably a stupid question but... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/98016-probably-stupid-question.html)

greenpassion 06-17-2018 04:53 PM

Probably a stupid question but...

I am about to start using a product called kind soil. The directions say to use carbon filtered water because the pH is between 6.0 and 7.0. I have an RO system and well water that I use when I want to make water for my carnivorous plants. Is RO water carbon filtered water? If not where do I get it?

Subrosa 06-17-2018 05:08 PM

Yes, carbon filtered and and then some. No worries!

greenpassion 06-17-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 878278)
Yes, carbon filtered and and then some. No worries!

Have you ever grown anything using kind soil? It is supposed to see the plant throughout its lifetime without having to add any nutrients or anything. That said, I guess it's okay to use RO water despite Ro being absolutely pure. Thank you for your response.:D

Leafmite 06-17-2018 07:57 PM

I had to look it up:
Kind Soil

It seems interesting but I probably will stick to what I mix myself as some of my plants need a lower pH, some need a higher pH and some demand extra of certain nutrients and less of others.

What will you be growing in it?

Arizona Jeanie 06-17-2018 10:59 PM

If you read the fine print on their website, it recommends against using RO water, but doesn't say why. Looks to me like a product designed for growing Cannabis, the plant lifetime they're talking about is sprout to harvest, however long that might be. (But not forever!) Not something I grow or use, I really don't know much about it, except I keep running into specialty products for growing it without really calling it by name.

Leafmite 06-17-2018 11:43 PM

That would explain everything. I looked at the nutrients added and wondered why you would 'never' need to add more. Most plants grown in a container run out of nutrients eventually. And it is so 'perfectly' pH balanced...it had to be balanced for something specific.

estación seca 06-18-2018 12:23 AM

I went to their Web site. Next thing I knew there was a knock on my door, and Jeff Sessions and some FBI agents were standing there.

Arizona Jeanie 06-18-2018 12:42 AM

My neighbors are already a little suspicious of the grow lights, I have to bring them in once in awhile to show off the orchids.

greenpassion 06-18-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 878320)
I went to their Web site. Next thing I knew there was a knock on my door, and Jeff Sessions and some FBI agents were standing there.

:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizona Jeanie (Post 878323)
My neighbors are already a little suspicious of the grow lights, I have to bring them in once in awhile to show off the orchids.

That's too funny! Same here!

estación seca 06-18-2018 10:54 PM

For those in other parts, Arizona voters approved use of marijuana / cannabis for medicinal purposes only. Some other states (California, Oregon, Nevada) approved its recreational use, and drug tourism is occurring.

Cannabis is still illegal as far as the Federal government is concerned. The previous Federal Attorney General stated the Federal government would not prosecute people under Federal law in states that had legalized cannabis, if those people were following the State laws. The current Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, has stated he will abandon this policy, but nobody is sure what the Federal Justice Department is going to do.

Arizona permits licensed physicians to recommend cannabis use for patients with at least one of a list of diagnoses. They cannot use the word prescribe, because that invokes Federal law. Recommending cannabis to patients is still illegal under Federal law, but the Federal government has not been prosecuting physicians. This might change at any time.

Patients with a physician's recommendation apply to the State of Arizona for registration, and a card showing they are permitted to buy cannabis legally for their illness. These people must buy their cannabis at a State licensed and approved dispensary. People with a cannabis card are permitted to grow a limited number of plants for their own use only if they don't live within 25 miles / 42km of a dispensary. People with a card may not sell, nor give, their cannabis to anybody else. People without a card are not permitted to enter the dispensaries. Banks will not do business with the dispensaries, because taking drug money as deposits is contrary to Federal law. So there is a huge amount of cash sloshing around the dispensaries. They have heavily armed guards and very secure buildings.

Dispensaries are licensed by the State. The enabling regulations specify they cannot be located near churches nor schools, and must be a certain distance from each other. The map of where to put dispensaries was carefully drawn by the State Health Department so more than 90% of residents of Arizona live within the legal distance of a dispensary, and are not permitted to grow their own cannabis.

The community where Arizona Jeannie lives, like much of Arizona, has a lot of people belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sometimes called Mormons. The church is strongly against using mind-altering substances, including cannabis and alcohol. Growing cannabis under lights in a small town full of LDS would very likely lead to a visit from the police. Jeannie is heading this off by letting the neighbors know she is not growing cannabis.

I don't use it, by the way. I have a professional license to maintain. I don't want to be impaired.