Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   first time repoting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/97757-time-repoting.html)

brandih 05-25-2018 02:50 PM

first time repoting

hello again i am getting ready to go and buy all my repotting supplies and i am looking for suggestions on supplies i went in yesterday to see what they had i plan on using clay pots but the media i plant them in is what i am unsure about. I found a repotting mix made for orchids but its made by miracle grow and i've read miracle grow has too much fertilizer in it and i dont want to kill my plants. I was planning on using bark so they dont hold to much water but the mix i found had both bark and moss. Is it better to use both? Also should i always be using the perilite? My orchids are phals btw. I live in ohio where it is humid all summer. Any help i can get on choosing the best repotting materials would be great.I have watch videos on replanting them but it seems like there is so much out there its hard to know where to begin. And should i buy a solution to soak my plant roots in or is water fine? Ive seen people do both. One of my orchids is in moss is it ok for me to switch it to bark? And if bark is better than using both than which is the best type of bark and the best size? Sorry i know this is a lot of question but it means a lot to me to get this right these orchids mean a lot to me so i can not screw this up!! Thank you for your help so far!!

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

btw i would have posted this in the repotting forums however i read quite a few post and dont understand most of the terms so i thought newbie would be better since im am really new to this first time trying to keep them after blooms died off

Dollythehun 05-25-2018 06:06 PM

No on the Miracle Gro. It's poor quality. Too many fines and inconsistent. Are you an over waterer or an underwaterer? If over, maybe moss is not for you. I use clay pots and a miss mix. It has cork, perlite and a little leca and bark. You will have to experiment for yourself.

Paphluvr 05-25-2018 07:42 PM

If you're in Ohio you may want to check out Roberts Flower Supply (Orchid Growing Supplies - Plants for Sale Columbia Station Ohio | Roberts Flower Supply). They have a great selection of mixes and mix ingredients for those who make their own mixes.

fishmom 05-25-2018 08:47 PM

Take a deep breath, brandih. Orchids can grow in almost any medium, as long as you adjust your watering properly. ;)

Phals like a moist-but-airy mix, so a chunky bark mix works well for many growers. That is why Dollythe hun said the MiracleGro product is not suitable; it usually has many small particles (fines) that can smother the roots. If you add moss, it will hold a bit more water than plain bark. It is a really good idea to use a bamboo skewer to monitor the moisture in the pot until you see how the plant and medium interact. There is a sticky about the topic at the top of the Beginner section.