Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   Looking for some suggestions! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/97638-looking-suggestions.html)

Cheddarbob14 05-13-2018 12:11 PM

Looking for some suggestions!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to get my orchids outside for the season, 1st time as I've always kept them inside here in Michigan. I have a perfect spot where they will have a breeze, and some slight protection from the sun (shade provided by the spindles). Looking for some suggestions on what to put them in, that will keep them off the ground. Something I could mount to the inside of the spindles. A link would be great if there's something you know of

estación seca 05-13-2018 02:07 PM

Can you drill into the support posts and use bolts, or do you want something that just hangs?

Cheddarbob14 05-13-2018 02:26 PM

Definitely open to drilling into the posts. I'm looking around for a wire rack/shelf I could somehow mount

Orchitty 05-13-2018 03:43 PM

CheddarBob. I currently live in IA and have something similar on my patio. Mine is iron though. Just actually posted a thread of it on here. I bought some wide plastic shelves from Lowe's and put my orchids on top. I tie my orchid pots and the shelving down with small bungee ties so they don't blow over when there are strong gusts of wind. Also built a frame on top with PVC pipe that I can cover with shade cloth on hot sunny days. That looks like a great place to put orchids. With the ability to drill into your patio, you could make something much more permanent. Good luck!

Dollythehun 05-13-2018 04:55 PM

I did similar as orchitty, except I used a heavy bakers rack and bungeed it to the rail. I put a sheer beach umbrella over it all and hung plants from the struts of the umbrella. This did require a heavy umbrella stand. It was like their own personal cabana. They seemed appreciative.
I would worry that enough light through the pattern of spindles could still cause burning.

Ray 05-13-2018 05:00 PM

Bob, Dolly is right, those spindles aren't going to provide enough shade to prevent the sun from frying your plants, especially as it gets higher in the sky.

If you want to move them outside, you might consider some sort of shelving (it can even be on rollers) and the surround the top and sides with shade cloth.

Cheddarbob14 05-13-2018 09:30 PM

Thank you all for the input so far, all helpful advice!

Cheddarbob14 05-14-2018 01:03 PM

I found some cool wire baskets that I will be mounting on the spindles, and some shade cloth to also provide a little protection. Will provide links and a photo once setup this weekend. Thanks again for all input

rbarata 05-14-2018 01:21 PM

Maybe you could post photos of the shade cloth before assembling it all.
It would also be important to know which orchids you want to put outside.

estación seca 05-15-2018 10:05 PM

You could anchor a sturdy curtain rod to the heavy uprights with through-and-through bolts, washers and wing nuts. Perhaps countersink holes on the nut side.