Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   am I doing it right to get these guys to bloom? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/97610-am-doing-guys-bloom.html)

fooferdoggie 05-10-2018 11:38 PM

am I doing it right to get these guys to bloom?

2 Attachment(s)
these are all from trader joes but two a of them one is a sherry baby and one is a baby cakes. can't remember whats what anymore. they have been in s/h for 6 months or more weekly water flush about 1/4 teaspoon fertilizer and various supplements. they get the same light the phals bloom with. they all have at least one new growth or more. my wife loves to shop by smell when we go to trader joes but we only have so much room.

Dollythehun 05-11-2018 06:37 AM

They need much more light than phals! In fact, yours look pretty dark green and small. This is a robust plant, normally. I'd up the light considerably to almost Catt level.

Ray 05-11-2018 09:00 AM

I agree. More light.

What is the formula of the fertilizer you're using? 1/4 tsp/gal is not a universal recommendation; it depends upon the %N.

fooferdoggie 05-11-2018 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
of course more light make it hard on me (G) here is a pic of my setup. trying to figure out how to add more light. if I strap another fixture alongside the one above them now will that do it or should I get them closer?
I am using Grow More 7516 Premium Orchid Bloom 6-30-30 Fertilizer and it is the typical 1tablespoon type. they get 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon approx. I can raise the tray they are in up or add a light. I cant really lower them as the ones on the wall love the light they are getting. the lights are off for this pic but you get the idea.

Dollythehun 05-11-2018 01:43 PM

Ray has been suggesting spot lights. If you look at the sauna post, he explains it well. I have a few plants off to the side w spots trained on them.

fooferdoggie 05-11-2018 02:10 PM

ya that may be the way to go. I used to use hue floods till I needed more and changed over to the fixtures. I would not use them now but it is a easy way to add more lights. cheaper too.

Ray 05-11-2018 03:30 PM

1/4 teaspoon/gallon of a 6-30-30 is applying only about 20 ppm N weekly. That is the amount I would recommend for feeding every 2-3 days. I'd recommend about 3/4 tsp/gal

fooferdoggie 05-11-2018 03:43 PM

they are in s/h so they have food 24/7

Ray 05-11-2018 06:13 PM

Ah HAH! A "minor" detail we didn't know.

I still think you're a bit light...

fooferdoggie 05-11-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 875274)
Ah HAH! A "minor" detail we didn't know.

I still think you're a bit light...

it was in the first post so there (G) though usually I leave out details. maybe 1/2 teaspoon per gallon?