Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Oncidium/Oncidium Intergeneric... that is what the sticker says... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/97472-oncidium-oncidium-intergeneric-sticker.html)

FliNow 04-26-2018 01:25 PM

Oncidium/Oncidium Intergeneric... that is what the sticker says...

3 Attachment(s)
Picked this guy up just because it's beautiful, unique, and smells wonderful.

The sticker on the pot says "Oncidium/Oncidium Intergeneric" but nothing further.

So I'm just curious what y'all think??? What might his label (name) actually be?

The flowers are large, stiff and waxy. The one pic shows my hand right behind one of the flowers. They are close to 5" across... tip to tip.

The entire plant (with spike) is a little over 3 feet tall.

The fragrance is sweet with a hint of pepper.

When I found it, it was WAY TOO DRY and is potted in pro-mix. He is now watered and happy and will be repotted after blooming.

ANYWAY... looking forward to your ideas or inputs as to what exactly he is!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

MrHappyRotter 04-26-2018 02:57 PM

It's probably Beallara Tropic Lily or a similar cross, but truthfully it will always be an Oncidium alliance intergeneric NOID hybrid.

I'm also not certain about the genus anymore as there have been a ton of recent taxonomic changes. Beallara is the artificial genus composed of crosses that involve Brassia, Cochlioda, Miltonia and Odontoglossum. However, many Odontoglossums have been moved to Oncidium, depending on the Miltonias used, they may have been moved to Oncidium, Miltoniopsis or other genera, etc. So, plants previously called Beallara could have been moved to any number of other genera.

FliNow 04-26-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHappyRotter (Post 874180)
It's probably Beallara Tropic Lily or a similar cross, but truthfully it will always be an Oncidium alliance intergeneric NOID hybrid.

I'm also not certain about the genus anymore as there have been a ton of recent taxonomic changes. Beallara is the artificial genus composed of crosses that involve Brassia, Cochlioda, Miltonia and Odontoglossum. However, many Odontoglossums have been moved to Oncidium, depending on the Miltonias used, they may have been moved to Oncidium, Miltoniopsis or other genera, etc. So, plants previously called Beallara could have been moved to any number of other genera.

WOW!! So much info! THANK YOU!!

ArronOB 05-07-2018 05:13 AM

Tropic Lilly looks like a pretty close match.

You can check on tropic Lilly’s parentage here

BlueNanta

I usually take a look in Blue Nanta when I get a new hybrid. You can see this one has 9 ancestor species, but I look for the majority ancestors and that gives me a few clues about the conditions it will probably like.

With NOIDs, I just label them as ‘Oncidium LIKE Tropic Liliy’. That way I don’t loose track of what it looks like and roughly how to treat it, but don’t end up assuming it’s a definite ID further down the track.

In any case, with 5 inch blooms it’s a magnificent specimen.

Cheers
Arron

Ray 05-07-2018 08:12 AM

Plant identification from a flower is exceedingly unreliable. It can even be difficult with some species, and is near to impossible with hybrids.

The problems are that 1) there are many hybrids out there that look alike, and 2) how the plant was/is being grown can have a significant effect on the appearance of the flower.

WaterWitchin 05-07-2018 09:55 AM

Whatever it is, it's beautiful. And fragrant is a BIG added bonus. I'd have likely snatched it up myself, regardless of name. ;) Enjoy!

camille1585 05-07-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 875021)
Plant identification from a flower is exceedingly unreliable. It can even be difficult with some species, and is near to impossible with hybrids.

The problems are that 1) there are many hybrids out there that look alike, and 2) how the plant was/is being grown can have a significant effect on the appearance of the flower.

These Onc intergenerics seem a bit different in that sense. The blooms tend to be rather unique, so it's far easier to get a tentative ID than for Phals or Dens for instance. It will never be an actual ID of course, but you can usually get pretty darn close.

Ray 05-07-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 875035)
These Onc intergenerics seem a bit different in that sense. The blooms tend to be rather unique, so it's far easier to get a tentative ID than for Phals or Dens for instance. It will never be an actual ID of course, but you can usually get pretty darn close.

In my opinion, "close" still doesn't have sufficient surety.

estación seca 05-07-2018 01:22 PM

That is nice. Very few of these Beallara-looking types have fragrance.

FliNow 05-07-2018 05:27 PM

While it's obvious that I will never know for sure what it is... I am REALLY enjoying it!!! :biggrin: