Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Phal grew new roots but all browned (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/97377-phal-grew-roots-browned.html)

Irisha99 04-15-2018 02:07 PM

Phal grew new roots but all browned

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, guys.
This Phal had two thick roots you can see on the bottom. I decided it needed to grow some new ones and I put it in bark and wrapped the base of it in sphagnum moss. I kept it nice and moist. 5 new roots grew and were doing well, however, then they just stopped growing further and became a bit browned. I put it in KelpMax solution every month. Don’t know what to do with it now. For some reason it always happens like this when I try to grow new roots. They grow and then brown... any idea what happens with them? Too much moisture? Thank you

Ray 04-15-2018 02:18 PM

And your minimum nighttime temperature is...?

Irisha99 04-15-2018 02:52 PM

In the lower 60’s

estación seca 04-15-2018 05:00 PM

If the plant isn't stable it can wiggle in the pot and damage the root tips.

Low 60s is survivable but Phals would prefer to be much warmer. I expect it will grow more when temperatures are higher. You could also put it on a heat mat.

Irisha99 04-15-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 873406)
If the plant isn't stable it can wiggle in the pot and damage the root tips.

Low 60s is survivable but Phals would prefer to be much warmer. I expect it will grow more when temperatures are higher. You could also put it on a heat mat.

Thank you. So what are those brown spots on those roots? Is it rot?

estación seca 04-15-2018 06:27 PM

It looks like damage to me.

Irisha99 04-15-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 873414)
It looks like damage to me.

Could be because I was always trying to peek inside sphagnum to look at roots?

estación seca 04-16-2018 12:38 AM

Yes. Every time you scrape a root you might damage it and cause a brown spot.

I might suggest you set up a jar. Every time you peek at the roots put another dollar in the jar. Soon you can buy more orchids.

There are a lot of jokes along this line, but we can't put them in the joke thread.

greenpassion 04-16-2018 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 873430)

I might suggest you set up a jar. Every time you peek at the roots put another dollar in the jar. Soon you can buy more orchids.

There are a lot of jokes along this line, but we can't put them in the joke thread.

:rofl:

Irisha99 04-16-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 873430)

Lol, I would be rich for sure. How do I go by without checking on those beautiful green roots at least once a day? Yeah, I know put it in a jar and put a dollar every time I peek at the roots 🤣
This is major though. Because I am able to regrow roots in most of my plants and then they just brown... same story every time

Thanks for the suggestion, though