Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Phragmipediums, what happens to old growths? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/97258-phragmipediums-happens-growths.html)

krienschmidt 04-06-2018 09:35 AM

Phragmipediums, what happens to old growths?

Hi everyone, my question is about Phragmipedium orchids. I have a Phrag that has yellowing and dying old growths. There are 3 new growths, (one that did bloom) that seem to be good but 3 older growths (at least over a year) that have been gradually turning yellow from the tips down till eventually they are gone. I have been trimming them back as they yellow down. Is this normal for the old growths to die off? Should I repot to remove old growths and possible dead roots? Thank you for any ideas and help.

MrHappyRotter 04-06-2018 09:53 AM

Old growths slowly die off after they've bloomed. Eventually you will need to repot, yes. At that time you can assess the situation with the roots. Sometimes the roots associated with older growths that have mostly or entirely withered away remain functional long after the leaves are gone, sometimes they don't.

As for the leaves on old growths, I usually trim off the yellowing leaves for aesthetic purposes. Eventually it gets to a point where there's not much point in keeping the remaining leaf/leaves, at which point I take a clean, new razor blade and hack off the growth down to the top of the potting mix. I usually don't bother to dust it with cinnamon or sulfur, however I always recommend doing so, since it can help to reduce the potential for infections setting in.

Fairorchids 04-06-2018 11:01 AM

It is a natural cycle, with new growths forming and old ones fading away. The older growths still contribute to the plant, so I do not trim till the leaves turn brown.

WaterWitchin 04-06-2018 11:29 AM

I remove once limp and yellow, similar to MrHappyRotter. I also repot mine once a year after blooming. Mostly because of medium deterioration, plus the guy I get them from who grows them told me to. :blushing:

I think phrags are very similar to bromeliads in that regard, if you have any knowledge of bromeliads?

krienschmidt 04-06-2018 01:11 PM

Thank you everyone. I suspected this to be the case as it seems to be the way with all my other orchids. It was an awesome bloomer last year and I hate to see the old growths dying away, but.....cycle of life I guess. I repotted it about 7 months ago so I will give it a few more months now that I'm sure what's happening is normal. Also thanks for info on the roots that still may be viable. :)