Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Trying Trichocentrum 'Ollie Palmer' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/97120-trying-trichocentrum-ollie-palmer.html)

Optimist 03-24-2018 12:44 PM

Trying Trichocentrum 'Ollie Palmer'

I am not able to keep oncidiums alive. I do not know why, but they always die. The year before last, I got a Psychopsis, which is in the Oncidium family. It is still going. It has not bloomed yet (too young, I believe) but has put out a new leaf per year and is in active growth right now.

So, I decided that my problems with oncidiums is my environment/care, and if I were to get any oncidiums growing, I would have to try with mule ear oncidiums. The orchids that grow best in my care (sometimes hap-hazard) are Cattleya alliance orchids.

So, I have done some research and ordered a Trichocentrum 'Ollie Palmer'. I went with a Hybrid because sometimes they are easier to care for than the species orchids.

So, my usual MO is to buy one, keep it for a year, and if it does well in my environment/care, I can get a few more.

Are there any other trichocentrum fans out there who can relate the lesser known problems or conditions for this plant? Another thing I would like to know is how big it gets. People who sell these plants rarely show you adult plants, and rarely show you any comparisons of size so you can see how big they are. I do not believe mine is a "seedling" as it will be in a 4-inch pot and is considered "blooming size."

So, other than needing a bit more water, they basically have nearly cattleya care?

Dollythehun 03-24-2018 08:49 PM

I have Ollie. Small bark, clay pot, Catt level light. Leaves are turning bright red so, light is high. I water 2x a week year round or if pot is light weight. It's a climber so, I have a stake in it. Does that help, would a picture benefit you? I can take one tomorrow. I find it easy but, it's not big enough to bloom yet.

Optimist 03-24-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 871366)
I have Ollie. Small bark, clay pot, Catt level light. Leaves are turning bright red so, light is high. I water 2x a week year round or if pot is light weight. It's a climber so, I have a stake in it. Does that help, would a picture benefit you? I can take one tomorrow. I find it easy but, it's not big enough to bloom yet.

The climbing part I did not know about. I don't need a picture.

Dollythehun 03-24-2018 10:53 PM

Maybe I should have said "stacking?"

Optimist 03-25-2018 09:06 AM

Well, I would like to get an idea of how large the adult leaves are. I have seen pictures of very small ones, and other pictures where the leaves seem at least 10 inches long. I have gotten to the point in my collection where I have run out of space, and I get 1-2 orchids per year (only) and this is the 2018 orchid.

Also things like do they pout when re-potted?

Dollythehun 03-25-2018 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine didnt pout. I find it easy. There are a couple minis you might like to try.

Optimist 03-25-2018 12:31 PM

That's nice and has nice big leaves. It reminds me a lot of Psychopsis. I like the spotted leaves. I thought only trichocentrum lanceanum had spotted leaves. I think I made a good choice though.

Optimist 03-30-2018 08:32 PM

Hi, if you are still there: I got the Ollie Palmer in the mail today. Very nice. My only complaint was that I ordered and paid for a heat pack, but did not get one. I suppose there was a reason. Not warm here. But the plant did okay. The spots are a bit smaller than yours. This is a good-sized division, not a seedling. A nice sturdy plant with a new growth and live roots. No evidence of a past inflorescence on this part of the plant. (There are some old roots from an older part of the plant). 6 leaves 7.5 to 8 inches long, 7 leaves counting the new growth, about 2-3 inches long. Nice!

Dollythehun 03-30-2018 08:34 PM

Great! Good luck with it! We'll have to compare notes.

Optimist 03-30-2018 10:03 PM

:thankyou