Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Leaves turning yellow and withering and buds are orange (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/96852-leaves-yellow-withering-buds-orange.html)

Astronomical_Orchids 03-02-2018 12:22 PM

Leaves turning yellow and withering and buds are orange

5 Attachment(s)
Hi i Just got my first orchid. For a few weeks one of the leaves was turning yellow and wrinkly and the other leaf is becoming wrinkly now and my buds are starting to turn orange/yellow. The temperature fluctuates a bit as the I have a heater on to keep the room warm and turn it off when I'm going somewhere. It's not very humid in here. I give it one ice cube a week. With things like this one most forums you probably need pictures so I'll attach some.
Also one last question in one of the pictures you see that part of the branch may have been broken before I got it will it regrow?

Astronomical_Orchids 03-02-2018 12:28 PM

Also sorry about the picture quality they were taken on my iPad, which is bulky and hard to hold, or I could use my iPhone 4 which while easier to hold the camera quality is even worse

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Sorry I'm pretty sure I put this in the wrong section, if the administration wants to move it that's fine.

Dollythehun 03-02-2018 12:35 PM

First. Ditch the ice cube idea. Take your plant to get sink and water it until the water runs out the bottom holes of the pot. Repeat. Lift the pot, note the weight. When it feels light again drench with water again. Move it to a cooler spot or turn the heat down. You lowering the humidity when you raise the heat. Your plant looks horribly dehydrated. That will cause the symptoms you see. Next, go to the Phalanopsis forum, at the top you will find a sticky note called "The Phal Abuse Stops Here." Read it, please.

Orchid Whisperer 03-02-2018 02:02 PM

Read the thread that Dolly recommended. Follow her advice, no more ice cubes.

After that, you need to repot. I recommend bark, in a well-drained pot. You can get "orchid bark" for about $5 per 8-quart bag in big-box home improvement stores, such as Lowes or Home Depot. Do not use anything that even remotely looks like potting soil. Don't worry at all about things like fertilizer, etc. right now (one of the least important parts of growing orchids).

The key to growing orchids is balancing water and air to the roots, providing the right amount of light, and tempering a grower's enthusiasm with a little benign neglect.

Trust me on this; 36 years growing orchids.

Paphluvr 03-02-2018 02:12 PM

Does anyone else think this looks like it's potted in Shultz Potting Mix? In addition to what's been said above, this should also be in a much smaller pot with good drainage.

Dollythehun 03-02-2018 07:57 PM

Yeah, the mix looks horrible. Rinse your new bark before you pot. It washes off the silt.

WaterWitchin 03-04-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astronomical_Orchids (Post 868934)
Hi i Just got my first orchid. For a few weeks one of the leaves was turning yellow and wrinkly and the other leaf is becoming wrinkly now and my buds are starting to turn orange/yellow. The temperature fluctuates a bit as the I have a heater on to keep the room warm and turn it off when I'm going somewhere. It's not very humid in here. I give it one ice cube a week. With things like this one most forums you probably need pictures so I'll attach some.
Also one last question in one of the pictures you see that part of the branch may have been broken before I got it will it regrow?

Ditto on the advice regarding awful potting media, watering with an ice cube, etc.

The flowers on the spike have what's called "bud blast," which is when conditions change too rapidly for the buds (not enough water, temperature fluctions, etc).

If the top part of the "branch" (a spike) was already like that, I hope it was purchased off the sale rack. That was the original main spike where the budding and flowering started. No, it won't regrow. The "branch" that's lower down the spike is a secondary to the original spike. Once a spike is completely finished blooming, it slowly dries up. The next spike will come from between the base of the leaves on the plant itself.

Lots of good info on the sticky thread mentioned "The Phal Abuse Stops Here." It's at the top of the forum called "Beginners." It will explain a LOT about what to do and avoid. Go ahead and repot now in better medium.

estación seca 03-04-2018 11:54 AM

Did you get a bare-root plant and pot it up yourself?

Phalaenopsis normally grow as epiphytes. This means they attach to trees with their roots, and they don't grow in the ground. As a result the roots need a lot of air, and many people use potting medium with large chunks and good air circulation. Standard house plant potting soil will choke their roots.

Your plant hasn't been getting enough water. The leaves and flowers are drying up and falling off as a result of this.

Phals are easy plants to grow once you learn how. Your plant will survive and grow well if you read and understand the thread Dollythehun referenced. It will not bloom before next year, because they tend to bloom once a year.

Astronomical_Orchids 03-07-2018 06:51 AM

How often should I water it and with how much water I changed the pot and mix on Saturday but the last bus just turn orange today

dounoharm 03-07-2018 01:58 PM

you pictures gave me great pain! the poor plant is being suffocated by the fine planting mix! I guess you have seen the above comments on potting media....

the branching spike with buds is the first thing to die...which they are doing....best to just whack it off for the possible reviving of the plant itself....

once you clean it up by rremoving the bloom spike and all that DIRT, repot it with chunks of BIG HARD bark, and put in as small a pot as it will go....

then you water, I suggest once every 5-10 days, depending on its location, light, and humidity....orchids grow on TREES, not in dirt....and they like to dry out COMPLETELY before re-watering..

so, go buy a new one that's got blooms to enjoy, and keep puttering with this one...pretty soon you will be a COLLECTOR, lol