Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   Multi floral paphiopedilum spicerianum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/96703-multi-floral-paphiopedilum-spicerianum.html)

Manu 02-15-2018 12:44 PM

Multi floral paphiopedilum spicerianum

Do they exist?

I can't seem to find any pictures of a multi floral Paph Spicerianum. I have a Paph for which the tag says Paph spicerianum multi floral, I got it about a year ago as a previously bloomed plant with 2 new growths. It's now in bud, so I'll get to see it's flowers soon, but as I was looking at pictures online I noticed that I can't seem to find any that had more then one flower per spike.

Here's mine... https://s14.postimg.org/82g4273e9/20180215_123118.jpg

Optimist 02-15-2018 10:22 PM

Paphs are grown from seed and not tissue cultures, so each plant is an individual. If 2 flowers on one stalk are possible in the plant's genetics, you may have hit the jackpot.

I recently had a venustum that had 2 buds, but one was weak and small and soon self-aborted.

If it is the first bloom the plant has ever had, the paphs I have had sometimes go a bit loopy and have all kinds of weird flowers. It is like they need training wheels to get it right.

I haven't been growing them long though.

Roberta 02-15-2018 11:11 PM

I wouldn't consider Paph. spicerianum a multifloral...you might get two flowers from a growth, but that would be rare. If you have a large plant with lots of growths, each can produce a flower so that you have multiple flowers in the pot. The term "multi-floral" usually refers to multiple flowers on one spike, some do that all at once (like Paph rothschildianum) and others do it sequentially (like Paph victoria-regina).

Paphluvr 02-15-2018 11:56 PM

Unusual but not unheard of. If you do a search for Paph. spicerianum here in the forum you'll see my post in Nov. 2016 of one of my spicerianums with multiple bud developement. This season just past they all bloomed with just one flower/spike.

Manu 02-16-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist (Post 867441)
If it is the first bloom the plant has ever had

It's a previously bloomed plant. But it was really small when I got it. 2 previously flowered shoots and 2 new growths.

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 867444)
I wouldn't consider Paph. spicerianum a multifloral...you might get two flowers from a growth, but that would be rare.

I came to the conclusion it's not considered multi floral after looking at 100s of them in bloom on Google...

However, this guy's tag says "multi fleurs" which translates as Multi Flowers. I assumed it would be multiple flowers from multiple growths, but when I saw this spike raising with 2 buds, I understood they meant MultiFloral.

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paphluvr (Post 867446)
This season just past they all bloomed with just one flower/spike.

Based on the Multi floral mention on the name tag and that the first spike I get has 2 buds, I have a feeling this plant will push all spikes with multiple flowers. But maybe im wrong. Time will tell, as it has 3 more growths initiated with small spikes creeping out and more maturing. Is it just me or they take ever to grow out of the crown!!

Manu 02-16-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paphluvr (Post 867446)
Unusual but not unheard of. If you do a search for Paph. spicerianum here in the forum you'll see my post in Nov. 2016 of one of my spicerianums with multiple bud developement

I just found your post, I'm curious, how long of a delay was there between the first flower opening and the second one? Where they both open at the same time at one point?

Roberta 02-16-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manu (Post 867459)
Is it just me or they take ever to grow out of the crown!!

Paphs are slooooowwwww. They teach patience in many ways,

Manu 02-16-2018 11:22 AM

Indeed!! I must say this guy is a super quick and vigorous grower. Went from a tiny 2 growth plant to a 7-8-9 fan plant in a year.. it's hard to count them, it's so crowded in that small pot

Paphluvr 02-16-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manu (Post 867471)
I just found your post, I'm curious, how long of a delay was there between the first flower opening and the second one? Where they both open at the same time at one point?

I don't know that I tracked the time between the two opening but I'd guess 1 month+. The stem for the secondary flower was about 3.5" long. I think I have a picture of them both open at once. I'll look for it.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...psdtixareu.jpg

Manu 02-16-2018 01:51 PM

Very nice, thanks!!