Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   Teach me how to buy a Neo (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/967-teach-buy-neo.html)

Tikva 08-08-2006 02:44 PM

Teach me how to buy a Neo

I want one. I'm really on a budget so if it's wisest to pay a bit, then I will wait. I need it to be from someone reputable who grows well since I'm a newbie and need all the help I can get.
I don't want white. I want a pretty color and would love variegated leaves.
I found some at New World Orchids - pricier than I really want to pay and they sell by growths. For example - 2 growths. What is that?! It means like 2 sections? Is that a good size for me to have - how much do I need for it to be almost blooming size or healthy to grow for me without being so tender that I could mess it up?
Any pointers would be SO appreciated!!
K

Mahon 08-08-2006 05:38 PM

Tik,

Neofinetia falcata is a relatively easy orchid to grow, there should be no troubles with it. As to sizes, if they don't say it is blooming size, send them an e-mail and ask. Two growths means there is one plant with 2 growths (aka. keikes, but that is not a widely accepted orchid term)...

As I have been told by a local Japanese orchid grower (in regards to Neo. falcata), "the name is what you are really buying"... I think I understand what he means, but I just can't put it into words.

I have seen white and peach colored Neo. falcata for about $20 at a local nursery... they are actually blooming now. They are in good condition, and are a very inexpensive price...

-Pat

Tikva 08-08-2006 05:45 PM

Buy me one! I'd trust you to pick me one :c)
Do they smell good too? :c)

littlefrog 08-08-2006 05:51 PM

How much do you want to spend? It is really a function of your budget. If you want to practice with an inexpensive plant, get a seed grown Neo, they still come in lots of shapes colors and sizes. I'd recommend doing that.

Actually I can probably get almost any neo you could possibly want... One of the guys who works at New World also comes and helps me fairly frequently, so I've been known to end up with some of their stock stored in my greenhouse... I don't think all of their neos are priced by growth, just the really expensive ones (a common practice in Japan, as I understand it). Alex has sold nice big plants for around 20 dollars at shows...

Tikva 08-08-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlefrog
How much do you want to spend? It is really a function of your budget. If you want to practice with an inexpensive plant, get a seed grown Neo, they still come in lots of shapes colors and sizes. I'd recommend doing that.

Actually I can probably get almost any neo you could possibly want... One of the guys who works at New World also comes and helps me fairly frequently, so I've been known to end up with some of their stock stored in my greenhouse... I don't think all of their neos are priced by growth, just the really expensive ones (a common practice in Japan, as I understand it). Alex has sold nice big plants for around 20 dollars at shows...

Yeah that's about what I want... I'd love variegated and colorful flowers, but I'd settle for just one of those :biggrin:
And I don't want to spend more than $20 or $30 if at all possible... well, if you could get me one...... :cheer:

littlefrog 08-08-2006 06:30 PM

Let me ask Alex what he would recommend. It might take a few days to get an answer, though...

Tikva 08-08-2006 06:31 PM

Sure cool!!! Mahon just told me there are blue ones too. I'd love blue :c) hehe
Tindo, did you hear that!!

Anyway, thank you for helping me out!!!!