Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Another first bloom seedling (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/96666-bloom-seedling.html)

Fairorchids 02-12-2018 09:29 PM

Another first bloom seedling

3 Attachment(s)
Also from Casa de las Orchideas (= Loren or Karl Batchman breeding). Here is an example of breeding living up to the expectations.

I bought half a dozen seedlings of Cym (Kirby Leash 'Cinnabar' x Splatters 'Flamenco') in October 2015 (3" pot size). The first two are spiking now.

At first glance, Cym Kirby Leash 'Cinnabar' looks striped, but it is actually covered with tiny spots in rows. Cym Splatters 'Flamenco' has a boldly spotted flower, but the shape is somewhat inferior.

The flowers are just opening now, and this plant is showing the best of both parents. Flowers are not fully open yet, but it looks like it will be abt 3.1/2".

estación seca 02-12-2018 10:16 PM

Wow!

charlesf6 02-12-2018 10:27 PM

Very nice!

Leafmite 02-12-2018 10:33 PM

That is very pretty!

camille1585 02-13-2018 02:03 AM

I don't know much about Cyms since I don't grow any, but wow that's beautiful! The colors and spots/stripes go very well together. I'm curious to see how the second spiking one compares once it also starts blooming.

No-Pro-mwa 02-14-2018 12:23 PM

It's beautiful.

Cym Ladye 02-18-2018 11:58 AM

As the flower matures, I suspect the light green background will fade to cream, which will improve the flower even more. Buying 5-6 of a cross in small pots is always the way to go. Then you can compare and keep the best!

Fairorchids 02-18-2018 08:25 PM

I think I have sold 2 of the 6 I bought. I am keeping this one (NS 3.3/4"), and any other unbloomed plants of this cross.

And, yes, it is more of a cream/light yellow in the center of the petals & sepals, blushing towards pink along the edges.

Cym Ladye 02-22-2018 09:01 PM

KL 'Cinnabar' has proven to be a dominant parent, but in all the seedlings I have seen so far, it washes out the color as it did yours. Even the spots are KL spots and not the Splatters spots.

I would really like to see the results of a KL to a well filled in, solid dark red. KL 'Cinnabar' is an incredibly floriferous Cym. but I would like to see an even fuller form in its progeny.

Fairorchids 02-23-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cym Ladye (Post 868176)
KL 'Cinnabar' has proven to be a dominant parent, but in all the seedlings I have seen so far, it washes out the color as it did yours. Even the spots are KL spots and not the Splatters spots.

I would really like to see the results of a KL to a well filled in, solid dark red. KL 'Cinnabar' is an incredibly floriferous Cym. but I would like to see an even fuller form in its progeny.

Appreciate the input (I don't know enough about Cymbidium genetics yet). I agree that it shows KL spots, though Splatters has increased their size somewhat. If you breed KL to a solid red, would this not block the spots?

Considering the lack of Cymbidium in this part of the US, I have decided to start some limited production, with the goal of producing 4-8 crosses per year, primarily pendulous & spotted standards. Would you care to help guiding me in this endeavor?