Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Contests & Polls (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/)
-   -   What size orchids do you usually buy? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/96641-size-orchids-usually-buy.html)

Bulbopedilum 02-10-2018 09:10 PM

What size orchids do you usually buy?

What size orchids do you usually buy? Not miniature or big but in age. Do you usually buy flasks of seedlings or adult orchids or something else?

Roberta 02-10-2018 10:09 PM

Impossible to give one answer... the only size I usually don't buy is flasks... my success rate for the youngest babies is very poor. But I'll buy seedlings if I find something interesting that I think I can grow, lots of juveniles, and of course flowering size when I find something that I want for a price that I am willing to pay.

Leafmite 02-10-2018 10:58 PM

It depends on what is available. I actually have raised orchids just out of flask to maturity because the orchid was not available otherwise. I don't buy flasks due to limited space. Sometimes the only size available is blooming-size so I buy that. Most of the time, though, I buy orchids that have anywhere from one to four years until they will bloom. The Angraecum sesquipedale seedling could take much longer.

jcec1 02-11-2018 05:10 AM

I actually try and buy flowering plants so I can see what the bloom is like and since I like scented orchids to smell them. Unfortunately, I do have to rely on the internet for a lot of purchases so have been disappointed in either the bloom not matching the photo or sometimes getting a non scented clone.

Leafmite 02-11-2018 05:55 PM

As a fellow collector of scented orchids, that is definitely the problem with buying seedling crosses that 'should' be fragrant, young clones, and species on the internet. I have raised many an orchid only to give it away because it has no fragrance at all. I only have this problem with orchids. Other plants that are said to be fragrant actually always are. :|

jcec1 02-11-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafmite (Post 866853)
... I only have this problem with orchids. Other plants that are said to be fragrant actually always are. :|

I never thought of that before, but it's true. I wonder if it's because scent is not a criterion in judging so can be easily lost? It would be nice to get scent when it's meant to be there.

Leafmite 02-11-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcec1 (Post 866857)
I never thought of that before, but it's true. I wonder if it's because scent is not a criterion in judging so can be easily lost? It would be nice to get scent when it's meant to be there.

Exactly. The same is happening to roses and even some other types of flowers. These flowers are only judged on appearance so the fragrance is often lost.

rbarata 02-11-2018 07:10 PM

I buy anything except seedlings in flasks.
I tend to think that buying a young plant gives it more chances to acclimatize.

dounoharm 02-12-2018 12:37 PM

I used to grow a lot of my cattleyas from plug trays, but now I prefer older plants so that hopefully I can see a bloom before I kick the bucket, lol....I did buy a plug tray last fall of one of my fav cattleyas, and the year before a flask of phrags.....but my little gh wont hold any more little ones...

camille1585 02-12-2018 12:42 PM

Hard to give one answer. I'll prefer adult plants or plants 1-2 years from blooming. I'll get younger plants or seedlings only for plants that are either hard to find (and so would rather have a seedling rather than nothing), or plants that are too expensive to buy adult size or near blooming size (like my Phal gigantea). The only thing I don't buy, mainly for lack of space, is flasks.