Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miniatures Show & Tell (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miniatures-show-and-tell/)
-   -   My "satellite dish" (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miniatures-show-and-tell/96519-satellite-dish.html)

Paul 01-31-2018 01:45 PM

My "satellite dish"

2 Attachment(s)

:biggrin: L. telipogoniflora

rbarata 01-31-2018 01:48 PM

Wow, love it.
Is it difficult to mount?

Pattywack 01-31-2018 02:21 PM

Beautiful little plant! Love the flowers on this one though I’ve never tried one. Nice little satellite dish!

JFeathersmith 01-31-2018 02:34 PM

Wonderful!! They're so fun :D

DeaC 01-31-2018 05:38 PM

Always reminded me of those little umbrellas put into exotic cocktails. That reminds me...!

Dollythehun 01-31-2018 06:04 PM

It looks like a 4 O'clock flower, (Mirabilis?). Very cute. Hard to grow?

Paul 02-01-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 865536)
Hard to grow?

Depends upon one's setup and environment. They do not like ever drying out but don't want to sit in water. Being a micro-mini pleuro means fine roots and no pb so no water storage organs. Low to nonexistant humidity for those of us in the Great White North or other arid areas means they will dry out in a heartbeat unless grown in a very humid greenhouse or orchidarium.

This is one of two Lepanthes which I have been growing for the past year in a way we typically say one should not grow an orchid or just about any plant -- in a closed terrarium with no fan. The container looks like one of those clear plastic candy/cookie "jars" in which the container is kinda shaped like a car tire that has a flat -- flat on two opposite sides as well as a small portion of the bottom. The jar mouth is at the 2 o'clock position and has a lid. I did melt a few holes in the top so should the air within get too warm it has a way to escape. The media is fluffy, damp sphag. This orchid and the other rest on top of the moss. Humidity stays around 100% I imagine. I rarely need to water. Despite the stagnant moist air, haven't had an issue yet with molds and the plants seem to be doing well. A gent I see at some of the orchid shows gave me this idea as this is more or less how he has been growing his.

Dollythehun 02-01-2018 12:12 PM

Isn't that flower Anonymouse's avatar? Can you post a picture of your set up, I'm intrigued. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, where are you in MI?

JFeathersmith 02-01-2018 01:41 PM

I've been growing one since last April about the same as Paul's setup - only real difference is that I keep the mount suspended above the damp sphagnum at the bottom of my container.

Paul, what other Lepanthes do you have in there? I've looked at lots of others, but so many of them seem to want air movement, and I'm not up for a terrarium with a fan (yet).

Paul 02-01-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFeathersmith (Post 865605)
Paul, what other Lepanthes do you have in there?

Lepanthes calodictyon