Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Georgia - NGOS (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/georgia-ngos/)
-   -   Orchid Madness at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/georgia-ngos/96459-orchid-madness-botanical-garden-georgia.html)

Orchid Whisperer 01-26-2018 12:07 PM

Orchid Madness at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia

Orchid Madness at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/87...g=w777-h600-no

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/...2bIHO-nYQv_d7h

Athens, Georgia- The State Botanical Garden of Georgia, a unit of the University of Georgia Office of Public Service and Outreach, will host a month-long Orchid Madness fundraising event with events weekend events between Jan. 27 through Feb. 25, 2018. Proceeds from the fundraiser will benefit the garden's horticulture department.

Full details regarding the event are available at Orchid madness Archives - UGA State Botanical Garden

A unit of the University of Georgia Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach, the State Botanical Garden of Georgia provides the general public as well as UGA faculty, staff and students opportunities for recreation, events, research and learning through its natural areas, display gardens and building spaces. The State Botanical Garden is located at 2450 South Milledge Ave., Athens, one mile south of the Athens Perimeter. For more information, see Home - UGA State Botanical Garden

Google map: Google Maps

Opening Reception: Orchid Madness will begin with an Opening Reception on Saturday, January 27, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Be among the first to see this year's Orchid Madness display filling the conservatory. Enjoy live music and delicious heavy hors d'oeuvres as you view an exclusive one-night-only display of rare orchids from local collectors. Every attendee will receive a blooming orchid plant to take home. The Northeast Georgia Orchid Society will provide blooming orchids for inclusion in the Opening Reception display. General Admission is $50.

Orchid Madness - Repotting Class: On Saturday, February 3, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm in the Visitor Center & Conservatory, the Northeast Georgia Orchid Society leads this hand-on workshop, where attendees can bring up to two plants and containers and work with an expert to repot their plants. General Admission is $15.

Orchid Madness - Orchid Class: On Saturday, February 10, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm in the Visitor Center & Conservatory, learn about orchids and their care from the Northeast Georgia Orchid Society. After the presentation, attendees are invited to the Horticulture Complex for a behind-the-scenes tour of the botanical garden’s orchid collection. General Admission is $10.

Orchid Madness - Vanilla Sunday: On Saturday, February 25, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm in the Visitor Center & Conservatory, Come celebrate the closing of Orchid Madness 2018 and the Vanilla Orchid with Freddy's Frozen Vanilla Custard, a selection of delicious drinks, and a presentation and book signing by author, designer, cook, and lifestyle expert James T. Farmer III. The Northeast Georgia Orchid Society will provide blooming orchids for inclusion in the Vanilla Sunday display. General Admission is $20.

jkofferdahl 01-26-2018 01:38 PM

This is a beautiful place! I have fond memories of visiting there with my Aunt, who was UGa faculty until she retired. My time spent at the Gardens is filled with precious memories.

Orchid Whisperer 01-26-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkofferdahl (Post 865048)
This is a beautiful place! I have fond memories of visiting there with my Aunt, who was UGa faculty until she retired. My time spent at the Gardens is filled with precious memories.

Hi JK

Not sure when you last visited, but the SBGG has been steadily expanding and improving the place. Over the last 20+ years, they have added an international garden, herb & physic garden, heritage garden, flower garden, and a new horticulture complex.

The horticulture complex is where the orchids are grown until they can be shown. Over the last few years, the SBGG has really improved their orchid collection. If you can't make it to "Orchid Madness" on February 10, our club will be taking a tour there at our October meeting (Sunday October 21). You are welcome to join us.

jkofferdahl 01-27-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 865082)
Hi JK

Not sure when you last visited, but the SBGG has been steadily expanding and improving the place. Over the last 20+ years, they have added an international garden, herb & physic garden, heritage garden, flower garden, and a new horticulture complex.

The horticulture complex is where the orchids are grown until they can be shown. Over the last few years, the SBGG has really improved their orchid collection. If you can't make it to "Orchid Madness" on February 10, our club will be taking a tour there at our October meeting (Sunday October 21). You are welcome to join us.

It's been 7 or 8 years, I'd say. I get to Athens fairly often, but haven't been to the Gardens in a while. I need to get back!