Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Peace lily with flowers below the foliage? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/96326-peace-lily-flowers-below-foliage.html)

greenpassion 01-13-2018 12:41 PM

Peace lily with flowers below the foliage?

I have a peace lily that appears to be very healthy and quite happy. I bought it 5 or 6 months ago, and it had flowers on it already. Those have since gone by, and it's putting out a few new flowers but they are below the foliage. I have this plant in an East bright window, it gets plenty of water and Light. Anyone know why the flower stalks would be shorter than the height of the foliage?

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I have Googled this numerous times to no avail.

JScott 01-13-2018 11:42 PM

High light causes plants to grow shorter and sturdier, which is often a desirable characteristic, but there are some cases where it might not be. Apparently high light can cause the flower spikes of Paphs not to get tall enough and the flowers are held too close to the plant. High light can also cause Phalaenopsis spikes to grow with shorter internodes, which can result in the flowers being crowded on the spike.

These are all things which I think I remember reading, but I can't tell you whether this information is accurate or reliable, but since nobody else has offered any thoughts, I thought I'd throw this out there.

I don't grow peace lilies (my grandma always had them, so I know what they are, but that's about it), but it is my understanding that they like shade. It doesn't seem like an east window would be too bright for anything at all, but is it possible they are getting too much sun?

Have you considered whether the temperature is appropriate? I think these plants like warm temperatures, and maybe if they are too cold, that could have an adverse effect on their growth habits.

Or maybe it is just adjusting to different conditions, and the next round of flowers will be better.

greenpassion 01-14-2018 12:26 PM

I appreciate your suggestions J Scott, but the temps are fine it's around 70 degrees, and she gets bright indirect light. When I brought it home I'm sure it came from one of those grower warehouses where they are prompted to have a ton of blooms. Maybe I need to wait for it to adjust to this environment.

birdbrain 05-17-2018 09:37 PM

Greenpassion,
I too have a peace Lily, never have I had flowers on mine. Mine has come along way though. My friends grandmother gave me a small piece of her HUGE one. On the way home with something very heavy fell on it. It only had part of a leaf. Did you know NASA did research on plant cleaning our indoor air? Peace Lily as per NASA filters ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene. I would put a link up but have no idea how.....B

greenpassion 05-17-2018 09:45 PM

Birdbrain, I haven't posted about it, but this peace lily is now loaded with flowers.! It comes out with a new flower about once a week now, and they're all very tall above the foliage! It is a gorgeous Edition next to my orchids!