Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchids in Bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/)
-   -   Office mini phal color variation (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/96299-office-mini-phal-color-variation.html)

marcmaubert 01-09-2018 02:06 PM

Office mini phal color variation

2 Attachment(s)
Right now I have nothing in bloom in my house (but my Den. Nobile and Encyclia cordigera are getting there), so seeing this little guy at work makes me really happy. All of the new blooms are a lot redder that the old ones (the red ones developed under my care). I bought it in bloom around May and hasn't stopped since. It's still adapting to S/H.

fishmom 01-09-2018 04:20 PM

Pretty! It looks like it gets more of a rosy color as the blooms age.

marcmaubert 01-09-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 863457)
Pretty! It looks like it gets more of a rosy color as the blooms age.

Yes, I think that's the case. I like the reddish color better, though.

Dollythehun 01-09-2018 05:56 PM

Nice office; nice plant.

marcmaubert 01-09-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 863462)
Nice office; nice plant.

Thank you!

No-Pro-mwa 01-10-2018 12:36 PM

Such a pretty color.

camille1585 01-11-2018 04:09 AM

Nice plant! I have a few Phals like that which change color as the blooms age. For most of them I prefer the color in the beginning. I see I'm not the only one to have orchids in the office (though I got out of hand, there are 15 on my desk and windowsill...). My current office bloomer is a Phal equestris, which just started opening buds this week.

Is that plant in the background another orchid?

marcmaubert 01-11-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 863566)
Nice plant! I have a few Phals like that which change color as the blooms age. For most of them I prefer the color in the beginning. I see I'm not the only one to have orchids in the office (though I got out of hand, there are 15 on my desk and windowsill...). My current office bloomer is a Phal equestris, which just started opening buds this week.

Is that plant in the background another orchid?

15? That's a lot for an office! I would get out of hand too, but my boss wouldn't like it! I used to have a couple more orchids in my office bathroom but the building right next to us completely blocks the sun during winter (and my office isn't heated, so the lack of sun really affects temperatures). So I would need an orchid that likes hot temperatures (25 to 29°C) and Cattleya light in summer, and cold temperatures (12 to 5°C) and less than Phal light during winter and I don't know any orchid that would thrive in those conditions, so I took them home.

And yes! It's a NOID yellow Oncidium, the kind that has really small flowers and really long spikes.

camille1585 01-11-2018 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcmaubert (Post 863585)
15? That's a lot for an office! I would get out of hand too, but my boss wouldn't like it! I used to have a couple more orchids in my office bathroom but the building right next to us completely blocks the sun during winter (and my office isn't heated, so the lack of sun really affects temperatures). So I would need an orchid that likes hot temperatures (25 to 29°C) and Cattleya light in summer, and cold temperatures (12 to 5°C) and less than Phal light during winter and I don't know any orchid that would thrive in those conditions, so I took them home.

And yes! It's a NOID yellow Oncidium, the kind that has really small flowers and really long spikes.

I work at the Netherlands quality and inspection service for horticulture. We all work with plants for a living, so plants are most welcome at work! First photo is my office in late September, I added more after that. Second photo is a colleague's office, her desk is completely overrun with orchids! We both have west facing windows and stable temperatures, so the orchids are happy, and by extension, we're also happy.

I admire you, working in an unheated office! I just can't work with cold hands and feet.

marcmaubert 01-11-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 863601)
I work at the Netherlands quality and inspection service for horticulture. We all work with plants for a living, so plants are most welcome at work! First photo is my office in late September, I added more after that. Second photo is a colleague's office, her desk is completely overrun with orchids! We both have west facing windows and stable temperatures, so the orchids are happy, and by extension, we're also happy.

I admire you, working in an unheated office! I just can't work with cold hands and feet.

Oh, that makes sense, of course you have so many orchids in your office! We are a small A/V production company, so not a lot of plants here. Almost everything dies if I'm not taking care of it . I'm slowly getting my boss into orchids and right now she has 3 in the building (but she never takes my advice, nothing is reblooming for her).

Mexico City's weather is mild, so climate control isn't really necessary in most cases. And we do get cold at work, but nothing a good jacket and a scarf (and some hot coffee) can't fix.