Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Terrarium Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/)
-   -   RV traveling mini orchids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/96038-rv-traveling-mini-orchids.html)

bjmac 12-10-2017 10:59 AM

RV traveling mini orchids

3 Attachment(s)
This is our 12x12x18 traveling terrarium. It has 20 mini orchids and other plants. As we are retired we travel part of the year. This terrarium set on our table were we can look at it over morning coffee. I chose this size so it can be moved by one person. It has to go to the floor when we are moving and back to the table when we get to a campground.

stonedragonfarms 12-10-2017 11:13 AM

Do you have a list of the species that you have in it?
I could see doing a small build like this for my parents.
AP

bjmac 12-10-2017 12:25 PM

RV orchids

Microsaccus griffithii
Scaphosepalum rapax
Masdevallia erinacea
Barbosella orbicularis
Encyclia polybulbon
Lepanthes acarina
Pleurothallis grobyi (small)
Lepanthes calodictyon
Pleurothallis rubella
Platystele umbellata
Epidendrum gnomus
Bulbophyllum fascinator
Bulbophyllum sessile
Platystele stenostachya
Masdevallia descendens
Scaphosepalum andreetae
Pleurothallis microphylla
Stelis hirtil
Pleurothallis calyprtostele
Lapanthes aeora

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Liverwort
Conocephalum conituum
Bromeliads
Neoregelia (lilliputiana)
Neoregelia (red waif)
Peperomia
Peperomia sp (Costa Rica) red stem
Gesneriad
Sinningia muscicola (rio das pedras)
Sinningia (bright eyes)
Ferns
Nephrolepis cordifolia (lemon button)
Lemmaphyllum microphyllum
Bogonias
Begonia prismatocarpa
Araceae
Rhaphidophora pachyphylla
Syngonium erythrophyllum
Melastomataceae
Medinilla sedifolia
Marcgraviaceae
Marcgravia rectiflora
Marcgravia (brown)
Marcgravia sp. (Peru)
Marcgravia umbellata
Asclepiadaceae
Hoya cummingiana
Hoya curtisii
Tillandsia
Tillandsia ionatha
Tillandsia bulbosa 'Red Form'
Dischidia
Dischidia ovata (round leaf)
Philodendron
Philodendron (mini red)

DeaC 12-10-2017 12:57 PM

Being able to transport them is the way to go if possible and I think it's great! Have heard too many awful stories of collections being wiped out by the caretakers poor attention and understanding of just what's involved. Your set-up looks wonderful.

fishmom 12-10-2017 02:08 PM

What a great idea--and a lot of plants!

estación seca 12-10-2017 02:18 PM

Hmmm.... maybe need to convert a semi-trailer to be a moving greenhouse!

bjmac 12-10-2017 02:52 PM

Traveling to Tucson in March and April.

estación seca 12-10-2017 03:04 PM

The Tucson and Phoenix orchid societies both have our shows then. More details later.

camille1585 12-11-2017 08:27 AM

What a great idea to have a terrarium to take with you on your travels. That does solve the problem of finding a competent person to watch the plants while you are gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 860371)
Hmmm.... maybe need to convert a semi-trailer to be a moving greenhouse!

:rofl: :rofl:

You should have seen me when I was a student. I lived in France, and was doing a double degree. The distance between home and each university was a nice neat 900km sided triangle. I was taking the train from A to B to C multiple times a year and each time I was loaded down with 2 suitcases containing all my belongings (I went back and forth between the universitites every 2 months or so, and then home for vacations), my laptop and various bags hanging off of me that contained my orchid collection. I think I had about 30-40 at the time, luckily about half were compact or mini. Those trips were utter hell, and it was the worst 2 years of my life travel-wise.

bjmac 12-11-2017 02:17 PM

Camille do you still have any of those mini from the college travels?
It is hard for me to go off and leave my terrarium when we take a short trip. I only have about 1 inch of water in the drain area, no auto misting, but it seem to work for a few days.