Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   MAKING NEW TAGS (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/96035-tags.html)

dounoharm 12-09-2017 12:54 PM

MAKING NEW TAGS

3 Attachment(s)
my oh my! I have wanted to try this for some time now, and finally dug my stuff out today to give it a shot....

I bought a flat of plug babies, and I have to tag them all....I hate making tags! of all the methods of printing tags, I have never found one that survives very long with the heat, sun, and water of a greenhouse...so I was using good old number 2 pencil, as it lasts the best.

I used to do a lot of graphics, using india ink and pens, so I dug them out to give it a shot...and I think it will do fine! I am a bit shakey, but here are the first few I made...

Attachment 129939

Attachment 129940

Attachment 129941

I might try a thicker nib next time, but I think it is a definite attempt....the markers dried hard and don't smear, and hey, it don't get more permanent than india ink!...I think you can buy a pen fairly cheap, and a bottle of ink cheap too!

I will post after 6 months or so how they last!

DeaC 12-09-2017 01:02 PM

I like where this is going. Looks legible and neat!

charlesf6 12-09-2017 06:55 PM

I like that.

Leafmite 12-09-2017 10:39 PM

Looks good! I used the ink for calligraphy many years ago. Good stuff.

Fairorchids 12-12-2017 10:31 AM

If you write tags manually, go to an art supply store and buy paint pens (extra fine line). If you press too hard while writing, you can deposit a paint 'blob', but the writing will never fade.
  • Pencils are a poor second choice.
  • Sharpies writing fades in 2-3 months.

If you have to write a lot of labels with long names, invest in a label printer. You write your text once on 1 or 2 lines, and tell it how many copies you want.

I use a Brother P-Touch PT-2430 PC. You can get labels either 1/2", 3/4" or 1" wide. They are self-adhesive and adhere strongly to clean & dry labels.

Ray 12-12-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 860585)
  • Pencils are a poor second choice.
  • Sharpies writing fades in 2-3 months.

That's just too broad of a statement to be correct. It depends upon the environment the label is exposed to, and the type of Sharpie used.

The image below is of a standard polystyrene label that had been in my twinwall polycarbonate greenhouse for a bit over two years, where it was exposed to all the watering, fertilizing, and pesticide treatments my plants were. The date is written in #2 pencil; the others are self-evident.

http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures/label_inks.jpg

I am now testing a newer Sharpie - the "Extreme" version, outdoors - exposed to direct NC sun. It is supposed to be even more UV resistant.

dounoharm 12-13-2017 10:01 AM

sharpies are fine in the home....but I find they get 'blurry' after a couple years....(or was that my cataracts? lol)....but, I believe they use a mixture with india ink....I am using PURE INDIA INK...if you have ever done any artwork or got it on your hands, you KNOW how permanent that is!!

a proper india ink pen will not leak or make blobs...the old style that I learned calligraphy with, were NIGHTMARES and I would never suggest that anyone use those....

the radiograph pens I use are safe and easy, no muss no fuss...and for a small collection, beats the heck out of those stamped labels...

the 'glue-on' labels are nasty...the brother machine is fine if you want to do a thousand or so....

mine are holding up fine! I want to use the larger nib next time tho....the old eyes don't work like they used to,,,

Fairorchids 12-13-2017 11:41 AM

OK, I get that there are other choices than the paint pens (though I am puzzled by the regular Sharpie on that label, when I tried using it, the markings disappeared in less than 6 months).

I agree that the label printer is an investment (currently $85 at Staples), but when you have long hybrid names (especially unnamed seedlings) and need to do 25-200 labels, it is invaluable.

AJW 12-13-2017 04:15 PM

Try using an HB pencil it seems to last longer than and a lot cheaper than most pens.
Unless you have access to a label printer I have one comparable with Orchid Wiz and it prints UV protected labels. (I have some just over 5years old and they still look New)

bil 12-16-2017 06:51 AM

The best I have found so far is a propelling pencil, HB or B 0,7 diam.