Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Repotting at night (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/95680-repotting-night.html)

rbarata 10-26-2017 01:52 PM

Repotting at night

That's when I have most of my free time. Usually I do everything orchid related when I get home from work, before dinner, which sometimes it's a rush!

This is maybe a silly question but do you think it's ok to repot at night?

Dollythehun 10-26-2017 04:01 PM

Depends on how awake you are😀😁😉
Seriously, I've had to do that. Maybe hold the water until morning?

estación seca 10-26-2017 04:17 PM

The wine causes more trouble than the darkness.

rbarata 10-26-2017 04:20 PM

Well, I tend to go to sleep late and I don't drink so I guess it will be ok.:lol:

Dollythehun 10-26-2017 04:21 PM

Yes, but then he has the cork.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

You're also a good sport.

rbarata 10-26-2017 04:25 PM

I could try to mount an orchid on a wine cork.
It must be a mini...:scratchhead:
As I don't have any, I think I need to buy one.;)

dounoharm 10-26-2017 05:22 PM

very funny! but seriously, I was taught that "whatever you do, do it before noon"....I try to follow that, but sometimes its hard!

in the greenhouse, I am pretty firm on that, so everything is dry by nitefall....sometimes under the lights I get a little 'necessity is the mother of invention" ish.....

I think the main rule to follow is "ENJOY THE ORCHIDS"!!

Roberta 10-26-2017 05:54 PM

I can't think of any reason to not repot at night. I doubt that the phase of the moon makes any difference either.
As long as you turn off the lights when you're done (so that the plants get enough hours of darkness... saves electricity too) . If I limited myself for orchid care to the hours before noon, nothing would get done, since I'm allergic to getting up early :biggrin:

Repotting when rooting is just starting makes sense, so I do my best to achieve that. Watering early enough that plants are dry by nightfall when it is cold makes sense because a dry orchid will put up with cold better than a wet one. (When it's warm, evening watering is quite effective... that's what happens in the tropics, nobody tells Mother Nature that she's wrong) So in general, if a bit of advice has good reasons behind it, worth evaluating. If no reasons are obvious, I am inclined to ignore.

I'm sure no expert, but the longer I grow orchids, the more I find that people who claim to be experts aren't, especially beyond their precise growing conditions that they may or may not divulge. (I tend to be particularly suspicious of those who dispense lots of advice, and don't want anybody visiting their growing area)

estación seca 10-26-2017 10:12 PM

Your humidity isn't generally high. Neither is mine. I frequently water at night because it's either that, or I don't water. I don't have rot problems here. If I lived in a cooler or more humid climate I might. I don't think wet nights cause rot trouble unless the relative humidity is far too high, or the night temperatures are much lower or higher than the plant prefers.

michaelfriedman 12-07-2017 04:01 AM

Yes it is ok.