Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miscellaneous & Other Genera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/)
-   -   Habenaria radiata ( Egret Orchid ) (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/95677-habenaria-radiata-egret-orchid.html)

orchidsarefun 10-25-2017 07:01 PM

Habenaria radiata ( Egret Orchid )

I've packed a total of 9 bulbs - 6 double ( to triple ) the size of the other 3 - into 3 small plastic sauce containers and nested in sphagnum moss. The containers are the size they came in and the 3 smallest bulbs are about the size of the original 3 I purchased.
Into the vegetable drawer of the fridge, all stacked in a zip loc baggie.
I can't imagine them surviving for 4 + months. I'll update this thread monthly. I sterilised everything but who knows what lurks in that veggie bin.
My habenaria medusae and lindleyana are still growing strong. However when these go dormant I sphag and bag and leave at room temperature in a brown lunch bag. Far less hassle and worry.

Interestingly - the bulbs are as hard as marbles.

fishmom 10-25-2017 08:15 PM

I think hard is a good sign. My bulbs last year were quite hard also, and they survived and sprouted this spring. They did not do well during the growing season, though, and only two of the 7 bulbs bloomed, with small, quickly fading blooms. Now they are dry,outside, and I have not taken them out of the pots yet. I don't have a lot of hope for large, firm bulbs, as the growth was so poor.

orchidsarefun 10-26-2017 10:01 AM

fishmom - do you overwinter yours outdoors? I read that a garage is good but mine would be too cold in Winter.

fishmom 10-26-2017 01:55 PM

Last year I went the bag-in-the-veggie-drawer route. I was afraid my garage would be too warm after looking at the habitat for these orchids and realizing they would be covered with snow for several months. We do get freezing nights, but the sun in the daytime warms the garage to the high 50's quite regularly, and I was afraid the bulbs would not get a proper rest.

orchidsarefun 01-07-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update. The bulbs look fine. I suppose I am surprised as that drawer sees a lot of action.
I'll plant them out in March, in chopped pine needle and perlite. That mix worked well for me. March should have minimums in the late 30's.

charlesf6 01-07-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orchidsarefun (Post 863259)
Update. The bulbs look fine. I suppose I am surprised as that drawer sees a lot of action.
I'll plant them out in March, in chopped pine needle and perlite. That mix worked well for me. March should have minimums in the late 30's.

I suppose that you do know how to do it! :greenthumb:

fishmom 01-07-2018 01:39 PM

I'm so glad your bulbs are staying healthy! I think that's a good omen for growth this year.

orchidsarefun 01-07-2018 02:03 PM

With habenaria's in general if you can grow for 3 complete seasons you're a winner🤣🍾

Subrosa 01-28-2018 08:05 AM

One thing I noticed with using bags for storage was the couple of tubers that I did lose to rot were all in contact with the bag when I discovered they'd rotted. I switched over to disposable Tupperware style containers and it's much easier to insure that the only thing the tubers touch is the medium and the air.

Subrosa 01-28-2018 10:12 AM

Additionally, I was very disappointed in the tuber production of both the Ponerorchis and the Pecteilis. I have a sneaking suspicion that getting used to keeping more traditional epiphytes before moving into these species leaves us a bit gunshy about fertilization. I plan on a much heavier fertilization regimen for a couple pots of each species to investigate this.