Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   Project 6 -Project Plant Suggestions (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/9566-project-6-project-plant-suggestions.html)

cb977 03-08-2008 11:02 PM

Project 6 -Project Plant Suggestions

You can add any plants you'd like discussed here but PLEASE make sure they don't specify warm-hot or cool/cold and that they are not large. We will then figure out if they are available in the US, Europe and Canada. If they are within the criteria and are available to all, then I will add them to the plant list.

We're waiting for an answer of availability in Canada for Sophronitella violacea so far.

kiki-do 03-08-2008 11:10 PM

Sue, You are awesome! Thanks for all your hard work!

stonedragonfarms 03-08-2008 11:32 PM

Sue...one more for the list perhaps what about Soph. coccinea? IOSPE PHOTOS

mrobert 03-09-2008 01:13 AM

Small dendrobiums

Sorry, it's been a bit hard for me to follow "what goes where" in these threads.

These are all small, easy to get, reliable, and not too hard to care for.

Dendrobium dichaeoides IOSPE PHOTO
D. ridigum IOSPE PHOTO
D. williamsonii OSPE PHOTO
D. jenkinsii IOSPE PHOTO
D. bellatulum IOSPE PHOTO

kavanaru 03-09-2008 05:05 AM

Hi Sue, thanks for suggesting "my plants" :D I am back from my trip and a bit "confused" with so many messages... I need to catch up with what's going on with the project ;) I will manage to do it (I hope :D)

cb977 03-09-2008 09:48 AM

Hi everybody...to lessen the confusion with all the separate threads, Dorothy has closed all others and directed them to this one.

To answer your questions:

Adam,
Soph coccinea is a beauty. The size and temp range fit for the project too. Now we'll have to see if it's available in the US, Europe and Canada. If it's readily available in all three, I'll add it to the list.
Here's some additional info on it:
Orchids of Brazil. Brazilian orchids

*In searching for this one, I've found it at a few US vendors...and it's much more expensive than we usually try to get the project plants for. It's $45 at New World and $100 at J&L! :bua:
I'll keep looking :)

mrobert,
I love that first suggestion of yours:

...Dendrobium dichaeoides. If it's readily available, I'll add it.

...D. bellatulum is lovely...if we can get it, I'll add it to the list.
*available in US and Europe...Canada?

...Den williamsonii is another we need to check availability for.
*available in US and Europe...Canada?

...Den jenksensii is a version of Den aggregatum which is considered a warm grower (also on the lower part of revised list)

...Den rigidum doesn't work as it's a warm grower (it's on the lower part of the revised list)

Welcome back, Ramon :)

cb977 03-09-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki-do (Post 87558)
Sue, You are awesome! Thanks for all your hard work!

My thanks go out to everybody who has been helping so much this time around. Dorothy, Shakkai and Shams have done a lot of work in researching which has allowed me to get it organized...

:bowing :bowing :bowing

Of course, none of it would work if all the participating members didn't help us by suggesting so many wonderful orchids to choose from! ...

:bowing :bowing :bowing

Dorothy 03-09-2008 10:10 AM

My pleasure, Sue - Thank you for being our ringleader and mighty Captain ;)
Thank you, Shakkai, Shams and of course, Camille for all the time and work you have put into the project and all who are participating
:bowing

Back to finding more orchids !! :banana:

Miranda Orchids (USA) has Soph coccinea for $25 - Orchids of Brazil. Price List
and
(Sophronitis wittigiana for $20 - I'd like to enter that one (as it is a little less expensive) )
I will look into Canadian availability ..

shakkai 03-09-2008 10:31 AM

I couldn't have done the listing of the vendors without Camille's search tool! Its great - so many thanks to her! She also spent quite a bit of time looking some up by hand for the sites that couldn't be searched with the google too.

Re: ...Den williamsonii, I have it, so I know its available here. Its about to flower in the next week or so - I can't wait, as it looks lovely!!

cb977 03-09-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakkai (Post 87659)
I couldn't have done the listing of the vendors without Camille's search tool! Its great - so many thanks to her! She also spent quite a bit of time looking some up by hand for the sites that couldn't be searched with the google too.

Re: ...Den williamsonii, I have it, so I know its available here. Its about to flower in the next week or so - I can't wait, as it looks lovely!!

Shannen, could you provide me with the link Camille came up with? I remember reading about it but can't find it :blushing:

:hmm I thought it would take longer to lose my mind ;)