Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Connoisseur's corner (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/)
-   -   Hickory pie (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/95532-hickory-pie.html)

Subrosa 10-10-2017 11:01 AM

Hickory pie
 
1 Attachment(s)
This is more of a project thread than a recipe, but eventually I'll actually make some pies! Phase 1, raw material acquisition. You can't go down to the grocery for hickory nuts, so 1.5 hours and a small mountain climb later, here's about 2 gal of hickory nuts. Now I'm going fishing!

Orchid Whisperer 10-10-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 855592)
This is more of a project thread than a recipe, but eventually I'll actually make some pies! Phase 1, raw material acquisition. You can't go down to the grocery for hickory nuts, so 1.5 hours and a small mountain climb later, here's about 2 gal of hickory nuts. Now I'm going fishing!

Might want to do a taste test to make sure those are not bitternut or pignut hickories. The thin-skinned types always confuse me.

Find a shellbark (or kingnut) hickory - then you are in pie heaven!

Subrosa 10-10-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 855604)
Might want to do a taste test to make sure those are not bitternut or pignut hickories. The thin-skinned types always confuse me.

Find a shellbark (or kingnut) hickory - then you are in pie heaven!

I collected a handful Sunday. They were delicious!

jcec1 10-10-2017 02:52 PM

Is it like a pecan pie?

Dollythehun 10-10-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 855604)
Might want to do a taste test to make sure those are not bitternut or pignut hickories. The thin-skinned types always confuse me.

Find a shellbark (or kingnut) hickory - then you are in pie heaven!

My exact thoughts. We thought we had tasty hickories only to find out pig hickories are only fit for squirrels.

Orchid Whisperer 10-10-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcec1 (Post 855625)
Is it like a pecan pie?

Very similar. They are all in the genus Carya. Pecans are Carya illinoinensis.

Subrosa 10-10-2017 07:17 PM

The bark on these trees seemed like a match for pignut hickories of their size (12"-14" in diameter at eye level). The other common species, the shagbark is quite different. I have read conflicting accounts of the palatability of pignut hickories. It could be due to misidentification, and I may be guilty as well. But I can't get these things out of the shell fast enough to make them a decent snack food! So I'll bear down and produce for pie purposes.

Subrosa 10-12-2017 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phase 2 is complete, all nuts are de-husked. And it only took 3 hours!

jcec1 10-12-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 855779)
Phase 2 is complete, all nuts are de-husked. And it only took 3 hours!

Your pies better taste good after all the effort you're putting in. :rofl:

Subrosa 10-12-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcec1 (Post 855780)
Your pies better taste good after all the effort you're putting in. :rofl:

My pecan pies always disappear quickly when I set them out. I'll be using the same recipe, just subbing in the hickories for the pecans. Phase 3 is shelling them. The best is yet to come I think!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

3.8.9
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.