Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Greenhouse Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/)
-   -   Temperature Alarm (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/95471-temperature-alarm.html)

2Barefeet 10-02-2017 09:44 PM

Temperature Alarm

Does anyone having any recommendations on a good temperature alarm for a greenhouse? I'm mostly worried about it getting too cold at night, but wouldn't mind one that has an alarm for it getting too hot as well. I need something that will wake me up at night if it gets too cold.

bil 10-03-2017 05:57 AM

I got one from Amazon. I simply cannnot understand anyone who has a greenhouse who doesn't have one.

Being woken in the middle of the night is not pleasant, but it sure beats finding all your plants dead in the morning because a fuse tripped in the night.

Nexogen 10-03-2017 05:58 AM

It's just an idea.
You can find on this page several types of thermostats.
Wholesale electronic thermostat control Gallery - Buy Low Price electronic thermostat control Lots on Aliexpress.com

katrina 10-03-2017 06:05 AM

Get one that connects to your phone...it will send the alert to your cell and you'll never have to worry about not hearing it.

I'm with bil, I will never understand why someone wouldn't have an alarm. I know 2 people who lost everything in their greenhouses when systems failed during winter. Different winters but it was cold and both experienced total loss in their greenhouses. Everything froze solid!

Dollythehun 10-03-2017 06:46 AM

Of course, you have to have your back up systems turned ON.

Ray 10-03-2017 08:43 AM

LaCrosse Technologies makes a unit called "Alert" Remote Monitoring System for under $50. It has a sensor in the GH that measures both temp and humidity, and broadcasts them up to a receiver that is plugged into your router, where it is passed onto their servers. There is an app for the phone that allows you to monitor the GH whenever you want, and for about $15/year (first year is included in the purchase price), you will get a cell phone alert if the min or max limits are reached for temp or humidity.

bil 10-03-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 854970)
Get one that connects to your phone...it will send the alert to your cell and you'll never have to worry about not hearing it.

I'm with bil, I will never understand why someone wouldn't have an alarm. I know 2 people who lost everything in their greenhouses when systems failed during winter. Different winters but it was cold and both experienced total loss in their greenhouses. Everything froze solid!

Good idea. What's an alarm cost? I have spent more on a single orchid than that alarm cost me (25 pounds, poss 30, I don't remember in case you thoght I spent huge amounts on individual orchids.)

katrina 10-03-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bil (Post 854999)
Good idea. What's an alarm cost? I have spent more on a single orchid than that alarm cost me (25 pounds, poss 30, I don't remember in case you thoght I spent huge amounts on individual orchids.)

I'm not sure of costs as I don't personally have a g/h. 2 friends have them and both have alert/alarm systems where they get alerts on the phone when it's too hot/too cold. No idea of the costs though. I'd get one regardless, losing everything has to be way more expensive...finacially as well as mentally. Can't put a price on peace of mind.

Leafmite 10-03-2017 06:13 PM

I have heard quite a few tales of loss due to heating failures. If I ever had a greenhouse, I would definitely invest in an alarm...or two.

dangerouseddy 10-03-2017 07:09 PM

my heaters in the greenhouse are electric but I have a small gas heater for emergencies incase the power goes out.

got a wireless min max thermometer that you can set an high or low alarm on gives me some peace of mind in case something happens.

probably go off in the middle of the night and I wont wake up :/