Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Maxillaria Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/)
-   -   Brown spots on my zygo (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/95428-brown-spots-zygo.html)

awalker 09-29-2017 03:45 PM

Brown spots on my zygo

My Zygo looked great 2 weeks ago, now it has brown spots and it looks like it might be extending down towards one of the pseudo-bulbs. I guess I can't upload a picture until I have 5 posts. Any guesses what it might be? Should I remove the affected bulb?

rbarata 09-29-2017 04:18 PM

A photo would be really helpfull.
BTW, welcome...

Brown spots in zigos can have various causes, fungus, not enough air movement, excess of fertilizer.

How is your growing environment regarding temp and humidity?

estación seca 09-29-2017 04:41 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Yes, we need to know how you're growing it.

Zygos are cool to cold growing plants. They like plenty of cool, very humid fresh air with plenty of air circulation. They also like a lot of water. If they're not happy they get spots quickly.

awalker 09-30-2017 02:59 PM

Right now it is out on my screen porch for the summer. I have 3 other zygos that look good and are in bud. All but one(not the one in question) are in moss. Trying to figure out how to upload a picture. In the help section it said I need to post 5 times before I can do it. Is that correct?

estación seca 09-30-2017 04:33 PM

Yes. If you make a new post or reply to another post that counts as one.

rbarata 09-30-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

If you make a new post or reply to another post that counts as one.
Maybe you could tell us where you live so that we can have an idea about your ouside growing conditions.
Also will help you reach the 5 posts.:)

awalker 10-01-2017 07:31 AM

I live in Hollis,NH

rbarata 10-01-2017 07:51 AM

Lookking here at your climate I think you conditions in winter are too cold for zygos (and most orchids) and probably too dry.
Between Jun and Aug it seems fine for them to be outside but in the other months I would put them inside with somewhat high humidity (from 50 up to 60%) and, very important, air circulation.

Dollythehun 10-01-2017 09:10 AM

If they aren't happy, they spot quickly. I didn't even entertain the idea of summering it outside. Youre brave. Mine is in a bark moss mix, northeast window, watered before it dries and has a fan on it. It has a few spots ( nobody is perfect) but seems very happy. Without those pics, we have to be vague. Oh, and welcome!

awalker 10-01-2017 07:47 PM

Brown spots on my zygo

Will bring them in and increase humidity. Thanks for your help and interest. hopefully I will have enough posts soon to upload a picture.