Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   Another Neostylis Lou Sneary (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/95090-neostylis-lou-sneary.html)

MattWoelfsen 08-20-2017 08:32 AM

Another Neostylis Lou Sneary

2 Attachment(s)
Neostylis Lou Sneary, now known as Vandachostylis Lou Sneary was first registered by Hagime Ono 1970 (RHS).

This cross is a hybrid of Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis coelestis.

The pollen parent Rhynchostylis coelestis is "A compact, warm-growing epiphyte so named for the heavenly blue shading of its flowers. Native in the lowland forests of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam." There are three forms of this plant: blue, pink, and white.

I presume, the blue form was used for this cross?

For some reason, I have four editions of this hybrid. The flower stalk is very thick and these flowers are larger than normal Furan. In the past, the flowers have not been as distinct in color as what is happening here with bluefish/reddish tips and white body.

This plant is growing in a terra cotta pot with lava rock and bark chunks. Another Lou, I repotted after it flowered in pine bark mulch, loosely packed. Two of my other plants are bare root, hanging on a wire.

Bud 08-20-2017 03:45 PM

You have a healthy happy plant giving you a classic example of its blooms. Too bad my orchid plant was stolen when I had a party in my apartment and some neighbor crashers absconded with some of my portable easy to hide specimens. I don't know if they are still alive.... been sold and being taken cared for by better orchid growers than me.

Pattywack 08-20-2017 07:57 PM

Matt this is beautiful! The color is gorgeous, I can see why you enjoy the Lou Sneary. I've not ventured into the hybrids yet though I've been tempted.

You must be very busy on watering day!

Joseia 08-23-2017 06:57 PM

One of my favorite orchids, the fragrance is just amazing!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 851160)
You have a healthy happy plant giving you a classic example of its blooms. Too bad my orchid plant was stolen when I had a party in my apartment and some neighbor crashers absconded with some of my portable easy to hide specimens. I don't know if they are still alive.... been sold and being taken cared for by better orchid growers than me.

I'm hoping you are joking...did they really steal some kind f your orchids?

estación seca 08-24-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 851160)
...Too bad my orchid plant was stolen when I had a party in my apartment and some neighbor crashers absconded with some of my portable easy to hide specimens. I don't know if they are still alive.... been sold and being taken cared for by better orchid growers than me.

:_(

MattWoelfsen 08-24-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattywack (Post 851175)
Matt this is beautiful! The color is gorgeous, I can see why you enjoy the Lou Sneary. I've not ventured into the hybrids yet though I've been tempted.

You must be very busy on watering day!

Neofinetia hybrids are actually easier to grow than regular Neofinetia. Many of my plants are outside, so my time watering has been reduced. The weather has gotten chilli--overnight temps have been below 60F, but these hybrids seem to be okay.