Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Parts & Equipment (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/)
-   -   Question about an indoor rack (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/95020-question-indoor-rack.html)

theflyingkitty 08-13-2017 12:37 PM

Question about an indoor rack

Wanting to price out a new rack for indoor use this winter. Right now, all of the plants are outside but they despise the winter months.

This will be St. Louis weather near a door that gets chilly at night. Chilly enough to cause the Phal's to spike, but not enough for any real damage.

So this year I would like to put them all on a larger rack instead of on upside down crates along the floor. There are many types in this collection, but not sure that counts.

ANYWAYS, would I be better off getting one of the 63" greenhouse racks that has a made cover, or one of the generic metal shelving from amazon, or does it even matter? Cost and durability/functionality are the main drivers.

(And sorry for the messy wording. Sliced my thumb open mysteriously this morning and typing isn't easy)

(And I can try adding links if the forum will let me. Despite being past the post count mark, it still didn't allow last time I tried)

thank you!

wintergirl 08-13-2017 02:50 PM

I use the shelves without a cover. I had plexiglass/plastic cut to go on top of the shelves. They sell and cut at Lowes. The plexiglass added stability to the shelves and prevents water driping.I guess it depends on what room you are placing them whether you need a cover. I don't use them.

Ray 08-13-2017 02:57 PM

I cannot say which is better, but after selling almost off all of my plants and greenhouse last fall, I had to do something similar, and this was it:

Rack: Metal shelving from Home Depot, on the order of THIS, 48" x 18" shelves. I added wheels.

Cover: Clear vinyl Humidity Tent from Growers Supply (they only sell wholesale, but I am one of their resellers, so can get a good price on that, or any of their stuff)

Lights: I used Philip Greenpower LED production units, attached to the shelves above each layer of plants with zip-ties.

Leafmite 08-13-2017 04:27 PM

I use the same shelving unit that Ray is recommending. I bought my shelving units, with wheels, from Amazon. The units are easy to assemble, you can adjust the shelves as you wish and it is very easy to attach lights to the shelves. I used S-hooks to get four foot fluorescent lamps snug against the underside of each shelf. Now that LED lamps are available and the technology much improved, I would recommend those instead. Good luck!

bethmarie 08-13-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 850643)

Lights: I used Philip Greenpower LED production units, attached to the shelves above each layer of plants with zip-ties.

Where did you get those particular LEDs, Ray?

estación seca 08-13-2017 09:17 PM

I use something like this, from Costco. The Web price includes shipping. When you pick it up at the store it's about $85.00. The shelves can be used in any configuration, and you can use as many or as few as you like. Your local Costco may have a unit for less money with 5 shelves. This is a better idea, because you don't need 6 shelves for growing orchids, unless they're all miniatures.
TRINITY EcoStorage™ 6-Tier Wire Shelving Rack, 48” x 18” x 72”, NSF, Includes Wheels

Pattywack 08-13-2017 10:30 PM

I am using a greenhouse rack with the cover, I've only been using it for a couple of months. I have T5 lights attached under the shelves and a fan for circulation. I have thoroughly enjoyed this rack and it will be even more helpful when winter forces us to use the furnace. Humidity is always high and my plants love it, I do grow only miniatures.

One of my favorite aspects of this set up is I spray/water my plants and this allows me to spray like a madman! No more picking up each plant, carefully watering it. I have a small watering can I use occasionally though with miniatures it is not needed often. I have a dog crate tray under the shelves, never any water on the hardwood.

The shelves can not be used in "any" configuration, they are set at 13" apart, you could leave a shelf out for taller plants. There are 4 shelves to my unit.

Paphluvr 08-13-2017 11:18 PM

I find that 4 shelf decorative bakers racks work out well. They give you about 15-18" between shelves and look nice if you're growing in a living area as I am. Otherwise, plastic storage shelves work too, just not as good looking. I don't need any supplimental light as the racks are located adjacent to windows.

Dollythehun 08-14-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paphluvr (Post 850688)
I find that 4 shelf decorative bakers racks work out well. They give you about 15-18" between shelves and look nice if you're growing in a living area as I am. Otherwise, plastic storage shelves work too, just not as good looking. I don't need any supplimental light as the racks are located adjacent to windows.

That's what I use also. You can still afix lights to the shelves. I use a Sunblaster LED strip. You can get some with shelves that fold up for taller plants. Try Wayfair.

Ray 08-14-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethmarie (Post 850678)
Where did you get those particular LEDs, Ray?

I used to sell them, Beth. I can still get them, but you have to buy a case of 6 at a time.