Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Parts & Equipment (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/)
-   -   I need some thicker and deeper plant trays for S/h (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/94998-thicker-deeper-plant-trays.html)

fooferdoggie 08-11-2017 12:53 AM

I need some thicker and deeper plant trays for S/h

the thin ones that are everywhere are not really tall enough for the pots or they are so flimsy you can't pick them up with liquid in them. I was thinking of going to walmart and getting cheap bowls but any idea's?

Dollythehun 08-11-2017 07:52 AM

What exactly are you asking for...do you want trays underneath your plants like the bottom of a humidity tray? Or something else? I can think of several places for trays if thats what you want.

fooferdoggie 08-11-2017 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 850473)
What exactly are you asking for...do you want trays underneath your plants like the bottom of a humidity tray? Or something else? I can think of several places for trays if thats what you want.

guess I should have said saucer. like so. I want something deeper since I don't think I will get a week from one. but the clear plastic ones are too flimsy you can't even pick them up with liquid in them.

katrina 08-11-2017 04:54 PM

I bought a bunch of food service containers on Amazon and they are perfect, heavy weight saucers. You can get them in different sizes and shapes...I've been using them for 2 years and they are great. This is one of the sizes I bought...
Amazon.com: Reditainer - 12 Round Food Storage Containers with Lids - Microwaveable & Dishwasher safe (32 Ounce): Food Savers: Home & Kitchen

Different sizes and number in packages are available.

fooferdoggie 08-11-2017 04:56 PM

thats a great idea but I do need smaller around or I can't fit all the plants in the area I have. but it gives me more idea's.

Leafmite 08-11-2017 05:07 PM

I usually look around in the housewares section of a big box store for 'saucers' to put under plants. I find quite a variety of options there.

estación seca 08-12-2017 01:57 AM

If you don't care about plants sharing water, you could buy a rectangular plastic wash tub. Or, bigger, a mortar mixing tub at a hardware store.

Anytime you have standing water you will have mosquitos trying to breed.

katrina 08-12-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie (Post 850510)
thats a great idea but I do need smaller around or I can't fit all the plants in the area I have. but it gives me more idea's.

The "throw away" plastic storage containers at the grocery store are great options when you need smaller sizes. I use those for some of my 4" pots.

fooferdoggie 08-12-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 850530)
If you don't care about plants sharing water, you could buy a rectangular plastic wash tub. Or, bigger, a mortar mixing tub at a hardware store.

Anytime you have standing water you will have mosquitos trying to breed.

I was trying to keep them separate but since I use one big bucket to dip all my mounted orchids in it may be pointless.

AnonYMouse 08-13-2017 03:26 AM

Deli containers and yogurt containers (like Fage).
Ceramic ramekins come in many sizes.
Children's plastic and melamine bowls.
Price and imagination are your limits.