Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Maxillaria Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/)
-   -   Trigonidium cf. egertonianum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/94771-trigonidium-cf-egertonianum.html)

SG in CR 07-13-2017 07:58 PM

Trigonidium cf. egertonianum

2 Attachment(s)
I found this Orchid after Hurricane Otto passed through in some branches on the side of the road, looked similar but different from the T. egertonianum I've had for years. The pbulbs are more rounded and plump, without any pleats. So it's been doing fairly well and got two new growths. I just noticed a few days ago it's blooming. The flower is very similar to the T. egertonianum I have except that lines are a little more reddish and it's blooming during a time of year that the local ones don't. So I did a little googling and I couldn't find any Trigonidium species for Costa Rica that are nearly the same as T. egertonianum. This orchid was from a higher elevation (around 600m) as well.
So I was wondering, does T.egertonianum have a pretty variable growth habit or is this a different species? The flowers are a little nicer than the ones I already had. But the pbulbs are actually pretty different.
Attachment 127522

Attachment 127523

Bud 07-14-2017 03:24 PM

This looks similar to the flowers and the bulbs of your picture.

BOTANY.cz >> TRIGONIDIUM EGERTONIANUM Bateman ex Lindl.

SG in CR 07-15-2017 08:26 AM

Bud,

The orchid on that site is exactly like the ones that I've had for years, and like the ones that I can find growing wild. I agree they are very similar, but not quite the same. The pbulbs on the one that I suspect might be a different species are flated in one direction but otherwise nearly round and without any pronounced ridges. The "normal" T. egertonianum are elongated and have 2 ridges that run on each side of the pbulb from the base to the leaf.
Also, the flowers on the normal ones are slightly different, though it's hard to explain. I may end up dissecting one and photographing it so I can do the same when the other one starts to bloom end of the year to get a better comparison.
Which brings me to another difference, the blooming season. I've never seen the "normal' ones bloom this time of year.
No idea, maybe a species can have this much variation. But it seems to me that it might be a different species because of the differences mentioned above. If I get a chance later I'll post more images to show the differences better.

SG in CR 08-09-2021 09:12 PM

mystery solved

1 Attachment(s)
After searching some more I came across some pages of a book, Orchids of Golfo Dulce, which had an interesting little section that pretty much solved this mystery. My non-typical T. egertonianum are actually T. riopalenquense.
Attachment 153838