Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Catasetum incurvum still Dormant! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/94756-catasetum-incurvum-dormant.html)

Treeheart 07-11-2017 10:10 PM

Catasetum incurvum still Dormant!

1 Attachment(s)
I have had this Catasetum incurvum since February. It went into dormancy shortly after I got it. Though the temperatures are high because it is summer, it has still shown no signs of life. I am getting a little worried because the psuedobulbs are starting to shrivel up. Anything I can do to encourage it out of dormancy?

estación seca 07-12-2017 01:09 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Do you know whether it came to you from the other side of the equator? They have highly seasonal growing patterns, and February was late fall in the southern hemisphere. They go dormant in late fall, resting until the next spring. Plants shipped across the equator can be confused for a year or two until they get adapted to their new home.

All you can do is to keep it very humid, and wait. I would not water while dormant. You can read more about growing Catasetums here:
Sunset Valley Orchids

Regelian 07-12-2017 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome aboard!

Essentially, all is now said, but let me tell you about a recent import I have from Brazil. All plants arrived dormant. When I keep them on a bed of damp (not wet) sphagnum and warm, they normally start to swell a bud and come into growth in late July (now). The combination of warmth and humidity helps them spring across their dormant season. (we are currently very warm and very wet in Cologne) Plants I received last season had largely adapted, but a few are still late into growth. Again the warmth and constant humidity bring them into growth.

I would either set yours on to a bed of moist sphagnum to keep it humid, or set it over a dish of water (not in water) to raise the ambient humidity. I think it is waiting for the right conditions to trigger new growth and simply not getting the signals. Patience is good, but I think the plant may need a push.

Attached is a shot of a new Catasetum, in sphagnum, in a clay pot and about one week since the potting. It gets regularly sprayed and, due to the clay, can even be watered (in the current weather) without promoting rot. Air circulation is absolutely key to prevent rot.
Jamie

bil 07-12-2017 05:47 AM

Those who know me on here will not be surprised that I am going to suggest something weird.

I had a Jumboo Puff that had started to rot in dormancy, even tho it was religiously kept dry. To save it I ended up cuttiing off the entire base with all the roots.

Come summer, othing was moving and like you, I was starting to worry. In desperation, I wrapped it in a wet flannel (not damp) and put it in a black plastic flower pot with a black saucer on top to trap the heat and moisture, and keep out the light.
It was left in the greenhouse, in full light at 50% shade, to cook for 3 days. A Catasetum sauna if you like

When I took it out it very soon started to throw 3 shoots. So, in keeping with the Dictates of Dryness, I put it on a bed of dry moss and aited for the roots to appear. Instead, the first shoot slowly died off, followed by the second, and the third started to look sick.

At this point, having nothing to lose, I slammed it into soaking wet moss, and within two days it had perked up nicely.
About that time I had some back bulbs that I had robbed off my other plants, and most were sitting there in their dry moss, sulking. So, they all got the sauna tratment, and they all got with the program and threw shoots tooty sweety.
Now I am a lazy SOB, I admit, and it was a fag to keep emptying the saucers under the pots, and so I'd forget, only to find that the roots were now growing out of the bottom of the pots and into the water.

Curioser and curioser.

So, all my seedlings and backbulbs are sitting in a tray of fertiliser solution, and every few days I top it up, and I am already wondering if I should remove the upside down saucers from under the adult Catasetinae and leave them with their feet in fertiliser solution?

PS, usual warning. This worked for me. I don't know if it would work for you, especially if you got them too hot? However I would point out that if you never try anything different, you never learn anything, do you?

Treeheart 07-12-2017 06:28 PM

Thank you for your responses! I will up the humidity around the orchid and hopefully we will see some new growth soon.

isurus79 07-17-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeheart (Post 848347)
Thank you for your responses! I will up the humidity around the orchid and hopefully we will see some new growth soon.

Is this one growing outside? Natural summer heat and sunshine will help a lot.

I'd also pot this into long fiber spag. That media you have now looks too well drained for this group.