Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Disappointing Mtssa. Shelob "Okika" (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/94755-disappointing-mtssa-shelob-okika.html)

SaraJean 07-11-2017 08:08 PM

Disappointing Mtssa. Shelob "Okika"

3 Attachment(s)
Bummed that I really don't like the colors on these blooms but I just can't bear to get rid of it yet. It was a rootless 3 bulb division that I picked up two years ago for a dollar. It's been and s/h since, this is its second time blooming for me, and it has grown beautifully. I just wish the color came out richer :(

fishmom 07-11-2017 10:29 PM

Too bad, I really like the spikey blooms on Shelob. I wonder if more or less light while the buds are developing would affect the color?

Dollythehun 07-11-2017 10:50 PM

Well, I like it. Well done!

Salixx 07-11-2017 11:44 PM

I felt the same. I was sold the 'Tolkein' cultivar but I think it's the 'Okika' as is has some variegation on the edge of the leaves.

It bloomed a month ago and it just didn't do anything for me- the blooms were kinda meh.

estación seca 07-12-2017 01:16 AM

<sniff> poor orchid. people think i'm ugly. can't get a date. dumps me quik.

SaraJean 07-12-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 848289)
<sniff> poor orchid. people think i'm ugly. can't get a date. dumps me quik.

I still want him in my life but he has definitly been friend zoned. Quite a shame since he has such a nice, easy growing personality.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 848271)
Too bad, I really like the spikey blooms on Shelob. I wonder if more or less light while the buds are developing would affect the color?

I am wondering the same. I'm thinking about playing around with the temps, too. So it looks like he's safe from the give-away table... for now:lol:

CJ Green 07-12-2017 12:55 PM

Wow, great job, though, getting to this point from a rootless state. Looks like it's in beautiful shape! And for what it's worth, I think those blooms are beautiful (but I do like flowers that are sort of oddly colored).

Mountaineer370 07-12-2017 05:26 PM

I do understand being disappointed in something that doesn't quite meet your hopes or expectations. Still, it is pretty and seems very happy in your care. :)

CZF 01-03-2020 10:40 AM

Kind of bumping up this old thread, only because I was trying to figure out the difference between the Tolkien and Okika varieties and this came up in my search (thanks for that info!)

Wanted to get my sister a Shelob Tolkien as she's a huge LOTR fan, but she also loves variegated leaves, so maybe she can deal with just having the Shelob part lol)

I'm wondering if it's like the Nelly Isler, where the time of year can affect the colour of the blooms?

Personally, I think it's lovely and very exotic looking :)

DirtyCoconuts 01-03-2020 11:09 AM

i echo the above....there is nothing worse than having expectations and being let down...this is why bud blast is so heart breaking!!!!

that said, i really like the blooms and i also love the look of your growing area...very calm and screne