Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Questions about Latouria types (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/94707-questions-latouria-types.html)

mimigirl 07-07-2017 09:17 PM

Questions about Latouria types

I am falling in love with the Latouria types! I have several questions. First, I have hear that hybrids with atroviolaceum are very finicky. Do you all agree that it is not good for a beginner plant to have? I am looking for a compact and just want some info on I should look for or beware of. Dendrobiums hate me so easy grower is a must. Thank you all!

WhiteRabbit 07-07-2017 09:29 PM

I have Aussie's Chip, an atroviolaceum hybrid, and it's not been finicky or difficult for me. I got it fairly early in my orchid growing adventure ;)

mimigirl 07-07-2017 09:47 PM

Aussie's Chip

Yes, one of the three I am considering. Micro Chip and Nano Chip are the others. I really like the spots on them. Wish me luck, if I break down and buy it, cause I will need it with a Dend. Thanks for replying

SaraJean 07-07-2017 09:52 PM

I don't have an atroviolaceum but I do have a normanbyense which, someone correct me if I'm wrong, used to be considered an atroviolaceum. I've found this little dude and it's hybrids, like the Micro Chip, to be super easy. Plus they looooooove the heat down here.

fishmom 07-07-2017 10:31 PM

I have Microchip, which has been trouble-free so far, although I have only had it for less than a year. I've also had atroviolaceum and Roy Tokunaga, an atroviolaceum hybrid. They have all been vigorous growers and not finicky at all. And they have those wonderful spots!

One thing I've noticed, they do not like stale medium, so don't let the repotting go. If your medium is in good shape, you can give them plenty of water without the roots staying soggy. I use a fine-textured bark mix for my dends.

Dollythehun 07-08-2017 06:19 AM

Ditto, fishmom. I have several of these now. They are super easy and rewarding.if happy, they grow into specimine plants quickly. H&R has a wonderful selection.

SaraJean 07-08-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 847912)
Ditto, fishmom. I have several of these now. They are super easy and rewarding.if happy, they grow into specimine plants quickly. H&R has a wonderful selection.

Glad you pointed me in H&R's direction for the den spectabile. Their plant list has some super interesting latouria crosses on it!

mimigirl 07-08-2017 11:00 AM

I am in NOLA too!

Dollythehun 07-08-2017 12:00 PM

You can thank Estacion Seca. If you look in the Den section, I have several pictures posted of my 'Little Atro.'

mimigirl 07-08-2017 12:44 PM

Will do!