Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Over potted phal. Repot again? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/94653-potted-phal-repot.html)

Blooming 07-02-2017 09:07 AM

Over potted phal. Repot again?

Hi there! This is my second time asking a question here. The first time I asked about my other phal and everyone was so helpful!

I got an orchid as a gift about 3 years ago. I had no orchid experience, almost no light in my old apartment and I'm surprised I didn't kill it. I didn't mind that it never bloomed again, I just wanted it to be healthy so I decided to repot it. I did a lot of research on good soil and the right size and shape pot. I went a little bigger than the pot I had before (I think I went from 5 to 6 inches, I can't remember now) because I assumed that's what I needed to do based on what I'd read.

Now I realized that advice was for healthy orchids. Mine at the time only had two wrinkly leaves left. When I took it out of the old pot I realized there were only tiny little roots left. I didn't know if that'd be enough for it to live.

The next morning I went to see if the two orchids were still living (the one I'm posting about and a much healthier, more recent gift) and to my surprise it had grown a brand new leaf! I was so happy! That was about three months ago. That same little leaf has gotten slightly bigger, but that's all the growth it's had since then. Except I noticed the roots are expanding and looking beautiful. I guess my baby is using all its energy to grow roots.

Should I have gotten an even smaller pot than the one I had before? Is it too late to downsize now months later? Is it going to be a shock? I don't mind if my orchid takes a long time to bloom again, I just want to do what's best for its health.

Thank you so much for reading.

CJ Green 07-02-2017 09:13 AM

That's an interesting question. I would guess leave it in the same pot and just keep doing what you're doing, not to mess with a good thing. But I'll be interested to hear what more experienced growers say.

Orchid Whisperer 07-02-2017 09:59 AM

A current, well-taken photo (or 2 or 3) of the whole plant showing pot and growing medium would help.

rbarata 07-02-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 847331)
A current, well-taken photo (or 2 or 3) of the whole plant showing pot and growing medium would help.

Definitely.

Blooming 07-02-2017 10:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your replies! I'm uploading three pics.

rbarata 07-02-2017 11:10 AM

The pot is too large but, by other hand, the bark is too large so one thing compensates the other.
Keep it with high humitity (the pot is small so it shouldn't be difficult to find something transparent/translucid to cover everything.

Orchid Whisperer 07-02-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 847339)
The pot is too large but, by other hand, the bark is too large so one thing compensates the other.
Keep it with high humitity (the pot is small so it shouldn't be difficult to find something transparent/translucid to cover everything.

I agree about the pot size and medium coarseness complensating for each other. Don't repot right now.

estación seca 07-02-2017 07:10 PM

I agree with the above. Most people use smaller bark for Phals but that may not be a good idea.

Blooming 07-02-2017 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not sure why the leaves are wrinkly.
Should I cut them?

I had no idea the bark was too big! I used this: Amazon.com : Sun Bulb 5002 Better-Gro Special Orchid Mix, 8 Quarts : Soil And Soil Amendments : Patio, Lawn & Garden

What do you recommend? I found another orchid (pictures attached) that came with moss and was thinking about repotting it using the same mix, into that white pot I had at home.

Roberta 07-02-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooming (Post 847409)
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not sure why the leaves are wrinkly.
Should I cut them?

No, no, no. Those are the only leaves it has! They are wrinkly because of lack of roots, so that it can't take up water. So making a little "greenhouse" by popping a plastic bag over it will keep humidity up, and help keep it from dessicating further while it grows some. Once it has a way to absorb water the leaves will probably firm up, and it will start to grow new ones. But first it needs roots. Orchids teach patience! They don't do anything fast.