Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Species (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/)
-   -   Phalaenopsis tetraspis (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/94632-phalaenopsis-tetraspis.html)

Biscuit&Gravy 06-30-2017 02:15 PM

Phalaenopsis tetraspis

Hi!
I'm interested in buying a phal. tetrapis. I'm fairly new to orchids so I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to care for this species, ie: when to repot etc. Any and all advice welcome! :)

murph7 06-30-2017 04:30 PM

pretty one!

check this link

Phalaenopsis tetraspis presented by Orchids Limited

jkofferdahl 06-30-2017 06:15 PM

Phal tetrapsis can be finecky. It's not the easiest of Phals to grow. Keep it warm, and keep it humid.

estación seca 07-01-2017 12:24 AM

Warm means never below 60 F / 15C. Even warmer is much better. Humid means as high as you can over 50%. It doesn't need much light - bright shade is fine.

jkofferdahl 07-01-2017 01:29 PM

With tetrapsis you might even want to keep it about 65 degrees. They're cold abhorent.

Ray 07-01-2017 02:10 PM

Yep, I put tetraspis along side of bellina for being warmth-loving.

Since moving my tetraspis outside - 75° nights / 85°-90° days, with high humidity - it has been a LOT happier.

Manu 08-07-2017 07:36 PM

What everyone else said, but I'd add that if you can mount it it would probably grow better then in a pot in my opinion, as long as you can keep up with the waterings. It's a great species. Don't overthink it and buy it, they're not hard to grow :)

Biscuit&Gravy 08-11-2017 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for the great tips. Here's a picture of my new tetraspis that I've had for about a month now. I took your advice and put the plant upstairs where it's warmer. Since it was mentioned it likes humidity, I put it in the glass bowl with rocks and water on the bottom. So far it seems to like it! Thanks again! :)

Manu 09-28-2017 08:10 PM

I find it funny that people think it's a difficult Phal to grow. Out of all my Phals, my speciosa is the one that grows and flowers the best, but I must say it's mounted and gets daily attention, like all my other plants. I don't think pots are suitable for this plant due to the pendant growth habit. If you get a chance to mount it with some spagnum moss you'll probably achieve better results!

Also, I'd be careful with the glass jar, seems like something that could block the much needed air circulation and could promote root rot..

jkofferdahl 09-28-2017 09:10 PM

Phal tetraspis (or speciosa) does grow quite well when mounted, but also will excel in a basket; in either case it's essential to water it at LEAST once each day. It's hard to overwater a Phal when mounted or basketed (is that a word?).

Phalaenopsis has a reputation for being an easy Genus to grow, but there are some species which are harder than others to care for. P. appendiculata is very picky, and the miniatures in general require more attention than do the larger species. The real warmth-loving Phals can also be a little trickier than most as well. Tetraspis, bellina, etc., would fit this group. Newer Phal growers find them trickier. I grow these warmth-lovers separately from most Phals so that they have both a bit more warmth and also higher humidity.