Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   My first ever Neofinetia is blooming at last (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/94514-neofinetia-blooming.html)

Pattywack 06-19-2017 09:46 AM

My first ever Neofinetia is blooming at last

2 Attachment(s)
I began collecting Neofinetia last November with a beautiful Oonamiseikai . I was only going to try one Neo. The Oonamiseikai was a nice size plant and I liked the curved leaves, the overall look of the plant. Al had several Neos at half price so I picked this plant, unaware of the addictive nature of the Neofinetia.

This one has been slower to wake from dormancy and slower to ever show any sign of flowering. This morning it has began to open its flowers. There are three spikes and sixteen buds, the best bloom of any of my Neos so far.

While the Oonamiseikai is another common Neo, it is still one of my favorites! Here are a couple pictures of her this morning.

jkofferdahl 06-19-2017 01:08 PM

It's beautiful!

DeaC 06-19-2017 01:46 PM

A very nice,full plant.Obviously happy and so you are! I find neos challenging but one is spiking...we'll see.

Leafmite 06-19-2017 06:28 PM

Congratulations! :)

charlesf6 06-19-2017 07:26 PM

Bravo! :greenthumb: very nice.

Pattywack 06-19-2017 09:42 PM

Thank you for your comments, it has continued to open more blooms today and so pretty! I honestly thought this plant might not bloom for some reason but it is proving me wrong.

DeaC have you been growing Neos long? I've not had any issues yet, (other than one stinking mealy bug) though I've only grown them a few months. I grow indoors under lights at a north facing window. My plants are all grown in moss mounds and I mist/water when they are dry, almost crispy dry. I water well once a week, they have been easy in my opinion? I really need to see what a year of growing them will prove to be... will I be able to winter them properly? Will I be able to rebloom them next year? I hope so, I've enjoyed them so far and love their fragrance!

DeaC 06-20-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattywack (Post 845988)
Thank you for your comments, it has continued to open more blooms today and so pretty! I honestly thought this plant might not bloom for some reason but it is proving me wrong.

DeaC have you been growing Neos long? I've not had any issues yet, (other than one stinking mealy bug) though I've only grown them a few months. I grow indoors under lights at a north facing window. My plants are all grown in moss mounds and I mist/water when they are dry, almost crispy dry. I water well once a week, they have been easy in my opinion? I really need to see what a year of growing them will prove to be... will I be able to winter them properly? Will I be able to rebloom them next year? I hope so, I've enjoyed them so far and love their fragrance!

:waving Sounds as if my way of growing is like yours minus the north window. Scale shows on mine from time to time but the qtip & alcohol does the trick. How often do you fert. and with what? Been working on them about 2 yrs and I need to do a lot better!:((

Pattywack 06-20-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 846055)
:waving Sounds as if my way of growing is like yours minus the north window. Scale shows on mine from time to time but the qtip & alcohol does the trick. How often do you fert. and with what? Been working on them about 2 yrs and I need to do a lot better!:((

I use Orchid Plus by Better Grow and I fert at 1/4 strength once a week sometimes every two weeks. I have well water and use that to water with, alternating with distilled water or RO if the store happens to have it.

Knock wood, I've never had scale on any plant. Good to know alcohol will take care of those nasty things. I've not tried growing outdoors, too many bugs and birds to cause problems. My mealy bugs were treated with Bayer 3 & 1 and I was so paranoid to use it on my Neos but they never missed a beat, not had anymore mealeys either.

I have several Neos that are small plants, one growth size that I'm sure will need some time before they will bloom for me. The next year or two should be very telling as far as my care of them. My larger plants have been awesome to watch the buds emerge and grow, the blooms are gorgeous. I was excited when the plants began to come out of dormancy!