Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   What do you do with a bare old green spike? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/94507-bare-green-spike.html)

Arizona Jeanie 06-18-2017 06:29 PM

What do you do with a bare old green spike?

Hello all, I have a question. For the first time in my limited orchid growing experience--one of my Phals bloomed nicely this year, then lost all the flowers off the spike, but the spike itself is staying green (but bare). In the past, the flower spike has promptly turned brown to the base, and was obviously done for the season. This time it seems to be staying alive. If it doesn't die back, what can I expect? What do you do with this sort of spike, and why? Thanks for sharing your experience!:waving

fishmom 06-18-2017 07:38 PM

If you have room and the spike is not in the way, I would leave it as long as it is green. It may branch and give you more flowers, it may start a keiki, or it may just sit there.

If you don't like the look, cut it back and wait for next year. Either solution will be fine for the plant.

nogreenthumbs 06-18-2017 09:27 PM

As stated, the spikes can do other things.

Some folks recommend cutting spikes with sterilized clippers (then dab with cinnamon). Some folks recommend leaving the spike until it turns brown before cutting (if it's already dead, then you're much less likely to cause some sort of infection/issue when cutting).

If it's not hurting anything to leave it, then why not do so?

estación seca 06-18-2017 10:22 PM

You will be surprised how often old spikes give more flowers.

Arizona Jeanie 06-19-2017 12:23 PM

Thank you all for your answers! I'm inclined to leave it and see what happens, these plants keep it interesting. If it branches and blooms, will that inhibit another vigorous bloom spike next season? The plant seems quite healthy. Estacion--what do you do with them, if I may ask? :bowing
(Hope you're doing well with the heat.)

estación seca 06-19-2017 01:18 PM

The orchids are in a sunroom with an evaporative cooler. It's nice in there right now.

I have a sturdy constitution. If I have access to water it is no problem for me to work outside all day long in my garden even on the hottest days. In my day job I wear pajamas inside a refrigerator.

Arizona Jeanie 06-19-2017 01:44 PM

Did you know that Buddhists have a cold hell?

estación seca 06-19-2017 04:02 PM

I think more people die of cold than heat.

Dollythehun 06-19-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 845940)
The orchids are in a sunroom with an evaporative cooler. It's nice in there right now.

I have a sturdy constitution. If I have access to water it is no problem for me to work outside all day long in my garden even on the hottest days. In my day job I wear pajamas inside a refrigerator.

Oh, that mental picture, ouch.

jkofferdahl 06-19-2017 06:52 PM

I think the world
will end in ice
Not fire