Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Connoisseur's corner (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/)
-   -   Best Bourbon recipe ever (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/94221-bourbon-recipe.html)

jkofferdahl 05-21-2017 07:38 PM

Best Bourbon recipe ever

A lot of people like mixed drinks. Ray's Cosmopolitan recipe reminded me of when I was a kid, my parents had parties, and all of the ladies drank Cosmos. A friend recently came to my house and created a concoction of Rye, syrup, absynthe, and maybe something else which was quite interesting. And I can remember enjoying White Russians in my day. However, I guess my approach has changed. Now, bear in mind that I rarely drink alcohol - a bottle in my house will last years. For me, though, the perfect recipe is as follows:

1. Put a clean glass on the counter (a shotglass silkscreened by a tattoo artist gives extra credit)

2. Pour in some bourbon*

3. Sip. For goodness sake, good bourbon is made to be sipped!

*this recipe only works if you use "good" bourbon. I can start another thread to define what constitutes GOOD bourbon, but it's not made in Tennessee. Actually, NO bourbon is made in Tennessee. And it's OK to substitute WhistlePig The Boss Hog Rye.

AnonYMouse 05-21-2017 08:36 PM

Could your friend's cocktail be a Sazerac?

I RE-discovered Bourbon recently (within the last year) and compared a few. Bourbon comprises a very broad spectrum of flavors!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkofferdahl (Post 843258)
*this recipe only works if you use "good" bourbon.

This expresses my feelings about Vodka!

jkofferdahl 05-21-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonYMouse (Post 843260)
Could your friend's cocktail be a Sazerac?

Sounds quite possible.

dounoharm 09-28-2017 11:02 PM

bourbon? just add glass.....

camille1585 09-29-2017 02:10 AM

My favorite recipe is nearly the same, except it's malted barley for me; only single malt scotch whisky in this house! My recipe also includes a few drops of water and some squares of chili infused chocolate to pair with the drink. Enjoyable evening guaranteed.

I'm not very picky, I like everything from the super peaty to the very floral. Which I drink depends on the season and my mood, and which bottles happen to have something left in them!

Ray 09-29-2017 06:46 AM

Good bourbon and pretty much any single malt Scots whiskey should not be mixed with anything. Ice at the very most.

camille1585 09-29-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 854489)
Good bourbon and pretty much any single malt Scots whiskey should not be mixed with anything. Ice at the very most.

Ice in a single malt is criminal. I've visited a number of distilleries in the Highlands and during the testing session at the end of it they really really stress that a few drops of water is all it needs at the very most! Save the ice for the blends.

jkofferdahl 09-29-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 854490)
Ice in a single malt is criminal. I've visited a number of distilleries in the Highlands and during the testing session at the end of it they really really stress that a few drops of water is all it needs at the very most! Save the ice for the blends.

Ice is unacceptable in bourbon as well. Really, it's a sin against any good whiskey.