Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   New baby vanda losing leaves (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/93860-baby-vanda-losing-leaves.html)

Cilla221 04-15-2017 11:34 PM

New baby vanda losing leaves

Hi
I am new to orchid board. I had a couple of phal orchids I bought from the grocery store about 8 years back that did great until I moved and they both died, so my orchid growing experience is limited. I found a pic of blue vanda a few years ago and really wanted one.. I finally got one about two weeks ago. I got this plant from orchids limited and it's a seedling I have never had a seedling of any kind.. I repotted it which I thought was the right thing to do but, in the last week 3 leaves have fallen off.. I am just wondering is this to be expected.. is there anything I can do to keep this plant alive? Also I tried to upload pics but for some reason they would not load.. :(

estación seca 04-16-2017 12:25 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board, Cilla221!

People seem to need 5 posts before they can post photos. If you reply to other people's messages that counts as a post.

How big is your plant? How big is the pot? What kind of potting mix did you use? Vanda seedlings usually get in trouble from one of two things: not enough water, or too much water that rots the roots.

Vanda seedlings can be tricky to start with when learning to grow orchids. People who grow Vanda seedlings in pots use small pots, very large chunks of bark or clay balls for medium, and water 1-3 times a week.

Other people set them completely bare-root on top of empty vases or jars, with the roots dangling into the empty vase. We water by filling the vase so the roots get good and soaked for a few hours, then emptying the vase. I do this every 2 days during warm weather. People in more humid areas can stretch it longer.

In general Vanda roots are white or light brown when dry. They turn green when fully wet. They can (and should) be watered as soon as the roots turn from green to white.

Use the Search function in the maroon menu at the top to look for "Vandas in glass vases".

Cilla221 04-16-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 839911)
Welcome to the Orchid Board, Cilla221!

People seem to need 5 posts before they can post photos. If you reply to other people's messages that counts as a post.

How big is your plant? How big is the pot? What kind of potting mix did you use? Vanda seedlings usually get in trouble from one of two things: not enough water, or too much water that rots the roots.

Vanda seedlings can be tricky to start with when learning to grow orchids. People who grow Vanda seedlings in pots use small pots, very large chunks of bark or clay balls for medium, and water 1-3 times a week.

Other people set them completely bare-root on top of empty vases or jars, with the roots dangling into the empty vase. We water by filling the vase so the roots get good and soaked for a few hours, then emptying the vase. I do this every 2 days during warm weather. People in more humid areas can stretch it longer.

In general Vanda roots are white or light brown when dry. They turn green when fully wet. They can (and should) be watered as soon as the roots turn from green to white.

Use the Search function in the maroon menu at the top to look for "Vandas in glass vases".

Hi estacion seca,
Thanks for responding so quickly. My vanda is about 2" tall and right now I have it in a 5.5" round clay pot with plenty of ventilation.. I have it in large bark chip and a little sphagnum moss mixed.. I live in southern California so it is really dry and hot with plenty of sun... Should I risk repotting my plant even though I did only a week ago? And if I should report my vanda do you recommend I do the barefoot method in a glass vase or jar or should I just put it in a smaller pot? What is best for my plant?
Thanks so much in advance 🙂

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

estación seca 04-16-2017 02:23 PM

How does yours compare in size to the plant shown in this thread?
Vandra and Cattaleya
Note the plastic saucer under these two plants is 6" / 20cm across.
Ascocenda on the tag is the name for Ascocentrum hybridized with Vanda. Botanists have decided Ascocentrum plants should now be called Vanda. Many people still use the older name.

Is your Vanda seedling in the hot sun? They can't tolerate this unless you have a fan blowing on them to keep the leaves cooler. Especially when small they can only tolerate dappled shade without strong air movement. If you have it in the sun, move it right now.

Cilla221 04-17-2017 12:56 AM

my vanda is smaller the the ones in the link and I have them in a clay pot that is deeper but smaller in diameter in comparison to the plastic container underneath the ones in the link. my vanda is infront of a window but the window does have drapes so my vanda is getting dappled sunlight.

estación seca 04-17-2017 12:58 AM

People say when growing them in pots to water, then let them get just about dry, then water again.

Bunch_Of_Roots 04-18-2017 01:41 PM

Post a picture of your plant when you can. It will help a lot to give the proper diagnosis.

In my experience, it is normal for a Vanda, seedling or bloom size, to loose a couple of the bottom leaves if the environmental change is drastic. Water the plant with a SuperThrive solution helps with transition.