Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Dendrobium speciosum leaf curling (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/93830-dendrobium-speciosum-leaf-curling.html)

Longvo626 04-13-2017 10:48 PM

Dendrobium speciosum leaf curling

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

I received a dendrobium speciosum recently and noticed today that one of the leaf is starting to curl. I'll place pictures below.

I live in Southern California and have been giving it morning sun for 2 hours almost every morning for the past 3 weeks. Also I have been fertilizing it a little bit more for the growing season.

Is it because of one of these factors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dollythehun 04-13-2017 10:52 PM

I have one doing the same. I'm not troubled by it, I think it was underwatered. Mine is under a lot of light but, this is Indiana.

estación seca 04-14-2017 12:20 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

i agree, not enough water. We'd also like to see more of the... Schnauzer?

Longvo626 04-14-2017 03:12 PM

Thank you all!

The dog is a Yorkie lol. So i currently water it once a week per the buyer whom I received it from. I will start watering it twice a week and see how it goes.

If I do water it twice a week, will the leaves go back to normal?

Thanks again!

estación seca 04-14-2017 04:25 PM

They might go back to normal if it hasn't been too dry for too long.

The trick is to water and fertilize during warm weather as often as the plant becomes almost dry. Too wet and it rots, which is why the seller told you to water once a week. But it will be happier with more water. I think you've been having some fairly warm weather?

Dollythehun 04-14-2017 05:26 PM

I was told mine needed water once a week, a small pot and indirect light. So, I left it in a tiny pot...It obviously wanted more light, so I bumped it into a high light position. Then, I realized it had completely filled the pot with roots. I do mean completely. So, a couple weeks ago I repotted into a 6" azalea pot and bumped up water
It has roots coming out of the top of the pot and two huge growths coming up. So, feed, water, shine on it now and put it out if you can.Then rest it a little in the darker season. They get huge. No the leaves will not uncurl.

Longvo626 04-14-2017 06:38 PM

It's been in the mid 50s during the night and mid 70s during the day. I think it's the 2 hours of direct am sunlight I'm giving it that is drying it out. The previous owner had it under a shade cloth the whole time.

Thanks again!

Dollythehun 04-14-2017 09:47 PM

I am in Indiana. Two hours of sun may be very different where you are.