Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   What % Shade Cloth To Use (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/93774-shade-cloth.html)

2Barefeet 04-08-2017 08:42 PM

What % Shade Cloth To Use

I am in the process of building a pergola and I'm planning on hanging my orchids under it during the summer months. The pergola is in full sun from about 11am to 6pm, so during the hottest part of the day. Also, I'm in zone 7b, have hot humid summers, and can keep my orchids outside from May to Sept. I grow a mixture of vandas, cattleyas, and encyclias. I'm going to buy shade cloth to cover the pergola with but I'm not sure which percentage to get. Is 30% enough? I want the vandas to have plenty of light but would also like to be able to move some of my cattleyas and encyclias out of my greenhouse.

estación seca 04-08-2017 09:30 PM

Can't answer yet. It depends on where you live:
- How far north do you live? (a surrogate for how intense the light is.)
- What your summertime temperature range? Hot to you might be barely warm to me.
- What is your summertime humidity range?
- Is there much air movement day or night during the summer, or the air is normally still?
- How often is it cloudy?

2Barefeet 04-08-2017 09:56 PM

- northern Alabama
- 90's during day, upper 60's ~ lower 70's at night, the heat index occasionally gets above 100, but the actual temp rarely does
- humidity averages about 70%
- there is almost always a breeze during the day
- sunny most of the time, maybe 1 to 2 cloudy days a week at most with afternoon thunderstorms

estación seca 04-08-2017 10:23 PM

I seem to recall cambriawhat lives in northern Alabama. He puts plants outside for the summer. Look up his posts and see how he grows. He has some plants under shade cloth and some hanging under trees.

You may have to take deer precautions.

2Barefeet 04-08-2017 10:26 PM

Ok. I'll look them up. Thanks.

katrina 04-09-2017 07:34 AM

Cambria lives in KY.

Where are you getting the shade cloth? If from a g/h supply company they will be able to recommend the level best suited for your area of the country.

Because the vandas need a lot of light...you might want to consider two shade zones...1 for the catts and another for the vandas. I have 3 zones med light plants, high light, and super high light.

2Barefeet 04-09-2017 02:05 PM

I like your idea about setting up different regions, especially since I have both semi-terete and terete-leafed vandas. I am ordering from a g/h supply company so I'll call and ask what they recommend.

sruther4d 04-10-2017 07:18 AM

I live in your zone. I grow catts, oncidiums, phals, paphs. My outdoor setup is an enclosed patio, 8 x 16 that I drape a 65% shadecloth over. I have a two plastic shelving units. The catts and onc. go on the top shelf. The phals and paphs and others go on the lower one. I have been very successful with that setup. I think the 30% will be too little. If you are getting sun the entire time I suggest two options: 1) 70-80% shadecloth; 2) consider a misting system, especially if you have vandas.

My 2 cents.

2Barefeet 08-01-2017 10:22 PM

I wanted to add a follow up in case anyone else is looking for this info.

I ended up going with 40% and 60% shade cloth. I put my strap leaf Vandas and some of my more light tolerate Cattleyas under to the 40% and the rest of the Catts and the few oncidiums and dendrobiums I have under the 60%. My semi-terete and terete leaf vandas are growing without any shade after 11:00 AM. Everything seems to be getting about the right amount of light and I have had plenty of blooms this year. No sunburn, though most of the Catts under the 40% have a purple tinge to their leaves. I will caveat that it has been an unusually rainy summer so far, so more cloudy than usual for this time of year. I may end up needing to move a some of my semi-terete leaf vandas under the 40% and some of my catts from the 40% to the 60% as it gets hotter and dryer through August.